Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see cruise control being real worthwhile in a Smart. The only time I'm interested in cruise is on the highway, and I don't see racking up a lot of those in a Smart, myself.

If that's a serious deal killer for you, I'm pretty confident the dealer will be happy to add an aftermarket unit for you.
I'm equally as confident he'll be willing to sell the car to the next customer as well.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Surely it must be available

but.....I can't find any mention of it in the catalogue (UK) as being an option, nor any mention of speed control in the Smart accessories. I know I've seen discussions before concerning adding cruise control...but of course - that's on the "older" model. I guess we'll just have to wait and see about the US version.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At least it was available as an option before and Iam sure it will continue to be,
and they dont call it cruise control it's called TEMPOMAT

·
Registered
564 Posts
In the land down under....

I dug around on the smart website and found it listed as an option in the Australian configurator (I guess they love cruise control in Oz like we do here). This is for the old 450 model and the cost is listed as 490AUD; by way of comparison, the heated remotely adjustable mirrors run 450AUD. Like you, I hope the 451 comes with this option in the US, but I'm betting it will be at extra cost....

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
My understanding is that the 450's initially did, but even with them it was discontinued as an option in '07, and many installed it aftermarket. So far, its seems it won't be available in the new model in Europe, and maybe not here as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speed control not an option for Canadian 451's...U.S. ?

We have just learned from our Dealers in my home town that there is no option for cruise control (at least on initial release of the 2008 Smarts) in Canada and further that your models will be the same and have the same options as ours....at least initially.
Don't take this as gospel cause the info is dribbling in bit by bit in Canada.....we'll know next month when the first 451's arrive in Winnipeg !
DONNIEDARK

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really hope it will have speed control; if it does not, I will have to get a refund on my deposit as I will not buy a car without it.

Thanks again for the useful info.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cruise control and city driving

The true meaning of a smart car is a vehicle that includes some artificial intelligence performance.

More and more additional functions have been added to our automobiles and have relieved us from ordinary decision making driving easier, more pleasant and safer.

Let

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really don't see the point of cruise control on a vehicle unless you plan on substantial highway cruising in non-congested areas. That's just not the environment for which the SmartCar was envisioned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use cruise control even in the city (ok, technically suburbia; I just meant not on the highway) ... too many speeding tickets!!

I asked about the cruise control when I went to the road tour thing, and the rep said that they would have it, for an additional charge.

THANK YOU smart people for catering to the American public ... even if the Europeans dont use it!!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I can see in the Denver area, there are some boulevards that are not congested at certain times of the day that would make the cc worthwhile. Here in DC, rush hour lasts from 5 in the morning until 11 at night, on any thoroughfare with a posted limit over 35mph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank again for the great info - I do hope the Smart car is offered with speed control.

Not only doe speed control will increase my gas mileage, but it will also keeps my right heal more comfortable during freeway, highway operation as I plantar fasciitis in my right foot (heal bone spurs).

·
Registered
5 Posts
FYI: I contacted [email protected] about the speed control - they will not have speed control. Here is their response.

"Dear smart Enthusiast, The smart fortwo will not have cruise control and this feature will not be offered at this time. Thank you for you interest in smart USA! You will be hearing form us soon!! Jessica Ratcliff Customer Service www.smartusa.com 1.800.smartusa"

It would seem to me that speed control is a rather low cost item that they could have integrated into the car, or at least offered it as a dealer installed option. TIme to cancel the order....

·
Agent 86
99 Posts
I don't see cruise control being real worthwhile in a Smart. The only time I'm interested in cruise is on the highway, and I don't see racking up a lot of those in a Smart, myself.

If that's a serious deal killer for you, I'm pretty confident the dealer will be happy to add an aftermarket unit for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts