Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First I want to say thanks for your advice and help in advance! Working on modding this car has been my intro to working on engines overall. So I’m still learning.

I’ve done everything I can to my smart aside from turbocharging it. I’ve been wanting to for awhile now.

Will this turbo work for an AMERICAN 2009 Fortwo 451? What would it take if so.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
As in plug and play - I doubt it. Best to contact Cardone directly: Cardone Contact | Cardone Industries Inc.

The US 451s did not get the turbo engine, so you'd need mounting hardware, intake and exhaust pieces and the big bit - an ECU for a US 451 with a turbo - which doesn't exist. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you got the coin… I’d invest in a 453 first.

If I have the coin to make it work, or if I have the coin to buy a 453? If I wasn’t already so far into this build, I would have switched to a 453…but I’ve done everything I can aside from turbo and full sway bars.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
…will it work?…sure it will.….then comes the pipes for the fabrication of the exhaust header to drive it and the pipes for the exhau Itself….can the catalytic converter…it will defeat the purpose of the unit…now for the cold side more pipes will be needed…and now comes the little box to manage the whole set up…knowing how to read and change the tables in the program to get the most out of the engine is key…. I run a Split Second fuel/timing calibrator piggy back on mine…is not just the box….

jetfuel….thanks Paul…

·
Registered
136 Posts
If not mistaking, 453 model had turbo & real manual transmission w/clutch. It is also wider then 451 & more stable at crosswind. You maybe able to get used Euro model with turbo... ( check on used Canada Smarts ). Better & much cheaper solution, then turbo conversion on US model of 451.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
…will it work?…sure it will.….then comes the pipes for the fabrication of the exhaust header to drive it and the pipes for the exhau Itself….can the catalytic converter…it will defeat the purpose of the unit…now for the cold side more pipes will be needed…and now comes the little box to manage the whole set up…knowing how to read and change the tables in the program to get the most out of the engine is key…. I run a Split Second fuel/timing calibrator piggy back on mine…is not just the box….

jetfuel….thanks Paul…
Great info, thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts