Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once read in here: "use it or lose it" referring to the refrigerant leaking out of our A/C systems. I guess the idea being that if you don't use your A/C system, and let it sit for long periods between use, the charge will leak out. The 2nd time I had to recharge my 2008's A/C, I bought the all-in-one refrigerant "do-it-yourself" kit made by IDC. It was getting expensive paying someone else to do it. That was well over a year ago, maybe 2. My system hasn't dropped its A/C charge, yet (because it still works). What I have done is as follows: Since my last recharge, every day of the year that it is warm enough for the compressor to kick on (I don't have a garage), I run the A/C for a moment, or so, when I start it up for the 1st time that day. Of course, it doesn't matter when--just whenever the compressor will kick on. I'm guessing that that is just long enough for the refrigerant to circulate well enough through the system to keep the seals from drying out. Sometimes, in the winter, it is just too cold for the system to kick on, so I might miss 2 or 3 days. I don't pretend to be a "know-it-all", and I know little about A/C. So, help me out, here, if I need it. But, this seems to work for me. Bill in Kansas City. (Yes, I know...the Broncos are going to beat the Chiefs.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DOES YOUR A/C LEAK? (here's what I did) part 2

In addition to what I said in my prior post, I should point out that I have no idea whether or not the "stop leak" additive in the R134a refrigerant had anything to do with my A/C system apparently not leaking anymore.

·
He's not mine
9,612 Posts
I've never heard of this.

Hey gang, is it true? If so, is it a smart specific issue?

I'm at 64 months and haven't had to have my A/C charged. Still working good. I use it at least 9 months of the year. But, in Winter there might be a few weeks straight when I don't need to
(and am Soooooo grateful for those periods.)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
It's true for my 450. I run it once a week for a trip all winter and it stays charged. If I don't use it for a month or more-dead.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
..yep..true...circulating the refrigerant/oil within the system will make it last a lot longer...
...in winter just let it run for a little while after the inside temperature has reached a comfy/warm state...

Jetfuel.....works for me....

·
He's not mine
9,612 Posts
Wow, this is a really good thing to know. And, I didn't know. Good thing for my A/C that I like it cool. :)

On the other hand, by running all the time I'm wearing it out mechanically. Can't win, LOL.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Remember that running the defroster (straight up on the dial) does turn on the AC compressor to make the air less humid. I think this was designed into AC units many, many years ago for just the reason this thread has been started.

I do not know if there is a low temperature limit that prevents the compressor from coming on in the northern climates...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts