Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I just bought a 2008 Smart Fortwo and am new to the family. I recently upgraded my license plate, reverse, both side signal, parking and interior dome lights to LED. I had no problems until I decided to change my dome LED to a different brand today.

I had upgraded the dome light to xenon white LED last week but decided the color was too harsh so today I wanted to switch it to warm white. So as I was putting in that new warm white LED bulb (different brand) bam, there was an orange spark then it wouldn't come on anymore. Not even the OEM bulb would work. What went wrong?

Radio doesn't work either. I read that if the radio doesn't work then it means I blew a fuse. Is that what happened? If so, is there a fix? I'm a girl and although I don't have much experience working on cars I'm a fast learner and managed to upgrade all those lights by myself (thank f*ck for YouTube) so if someone can explain in simple terms of what to do, that would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!!

Upon doing quick research, it looks like all I have to do is to replace the blue blade in the fuse box that is connected to the dome light and radio. Is that correct?

·
Registered
514 Posts
The dome light and radio are both powered by fuse 15. If you have a multimeter, it might be wise to check for a short circuit prior to replacing the fuse.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,056 Posts
I have this one in my 2009...

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,056 Posts
If I remember correctly, it is a 15 amp ATM fuse...

I blew mine too when changing the dome to LED, snicker...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
451 Smarts use ATC fuses as main fuses, and ATM fuses for subsystems...

Look for the colors and numbers on the ends, and get spares just in case...

ATC colors and sizes...

ATM colors and sizes

·
Registered
546 Posts
^same here.
I love how much brighter the interior is now.
Going to add some led strips(or just one) in the back so I can see better in the back at night)
Recently retroed led projector units in the headlights and wow what a difference.
Led lights are much more efficient then regular bulbs.
Only downside is you get hyperflash on the blinkers.
I’ve got my whole car done except the back up lights.(no issues aside from the hyperflashing)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts