Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let you know that I went down that road and it is a waste of time! Dealers really are not that interested I people calling to buy an orphan. They have their own plans for the these cars private deals and to add many extra's to make profits! The only way is if the person who ordered the SMART was to buy it then sell it to the public!! I just went through this on the one up in Cary N.C.!!! Maybe bad luck for me? Maybe not for YOU!! GOOD HUNTING!!!!!!! ;) p1nball

·
Registered
452 Posts
In Hartford they're not adding anything to the orphan cars or marking them up. I sat in the showroom for several hours when mine was being serviced and listened to the salesman on the phone, going down the (long) list of people in line for an orphan. Bad luck for you. :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am driving a orphan. Bobby Rahal called me one month after I put myself on their list. After driving 4.5 hours to Pittsburgh they treated me VERY well and I paid MSRP sticker and not ONE cent more. Sorry you have not had the same good luck. Like any car...there are good and bad dealers. Keep trying!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well.. I've been to Cherry Hill NJ, Edison NJ and White Plains NY for an orphan and all of them had them loaded up with crap and added $3K to the price of the car and wouldn't budge on the price...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
follow up

NOT TRYING TO RAIN ON ANYONES PARADE!!! JUST A FACT HERE AT SOUTH CHARLOTTE SMART AND CARY SMART!! THAT IS ALL, SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT ON THE MARKET!! THIS IS NOT ONE OF THE BETTER AREAS OF THE U.S. FOR ANY CAR SALES.... I WISH ANYONE THE BEST OF LUCK IN GETTING ONE!!!!! BECAUSE IT IS A GREAT CAR!!!!!!! p1nball

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
My Orphan came with Clearbra, lo-jack, and Enviroguard paint protection, ~$2,000 in add ons, but I will be traveling extensively, towing my smart behind my motorhome and those add ons worked for me. I believe that as time goes on, many dealers will have to eat the add ons if we, as a buying community; wait for our reservation.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As with many things good and popular, there will be someone trying to take advantage. Guess that is just human nature. :(

All I can say is be persistent, don't give up and good luck.

NOT TRYING TO RAIN ON ANYONES PARADE!!! JUST A FACT HERE AT SOUTH CHARLOTTE SMART AND CARY SMART!! THAT IS ALL, SOME ARE GREAT AND SOME ARE TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT ON THE MARKET!! THIS IS NOT ONE OF THE BETTER AREAS OF THE U.S. FOR ANY CAR SALES.... I WISH ANYONE THE BEST OF LUCK IN GETTING ONE!!!!! BECAUSE IT IS A GREAT CAR!!!!!!! p1nball

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I guess 'orphan' is the word for what I just bought. My wait time was under a week. I had no idea how hard Smart Cars were to come by. The only 'extra' I got was power steering ($450). The dealer was awesome. I simply told her that I didn't care about color preferences, and a few days later, I had my car (a Passion).

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer called me with a orphan and I purchased it the next day. There was no problem, and they did not make me pay any extra or add anything on.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It's still well worth putting yourself on the list. Since I bought my Yaris a month ago I got 3 calls from 3 diffrent dealers to come and buy an orphan. None had any add-on B.S. This isn't the rule of coure but you have nothing to lose, eh?

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I would say that if you can build a good relationship with your dealer the orphan program is the best deal if you want to get a new car. And on top of this now I also believe that you can purchase your vehicle out of any dealership, not just the closest one to you. With that I recommend the team at smart center Seattle as they are the best to work with.

·
Registered
834 Posts
And on top of this now I also believe that you can purchase your vehicle out of any dealership, not just the closest one to you. With that I recommend the team at smart center Seattle as they are the best to work with.
Talked to my dealer about this and their answer was that if they sell a car out of their "service" area they loose a 2% profit that they get from smart (I don't think it is a kickback). So rather than try to make that up by adding high markup accessories, they just confine their orphan sales to their service area.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The extra 2% profit from Penske was written into the dealership contracts. Guess it keeps them working within their own geographical areas. Protects each dealership from encroachment??

·
Registered
267 Posts
Adoptive Mother Quite Pleased

I was asked to put down $99 to be on the orphan list. The $99 went towards the purchase of my orphan, which I'm embarrassed to say, I got less than a week later. It all went quite smoothly. Billy Cooper in Lincolnwood, Illinois was great to work with!

I, too, was very flexible. I really wanted heated seats, and would have preferred leather, but after that, I was open. In the end, I took a white/silver/red interior when it was offered. I'm not jazzed about the red, but my students think it's great.

I will be selling my orphan when my order arrives. I won't be looking to flip a profit, I'll be looking to sell in order to get what I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Don't feel bad. The dallas smart center also has standard add on's for orphans. I was lucky that mine wasn't one of the ones with colored wheels. {The blue ones looked decent but then it would make changing panels harder if I decide to do so later.} Not all the dealerships operate as such. And some dealerships do try to serve those that have waited longer for orphans before just offering to anyone off the street. Either way most of us are stuck with what ever dealership area we live in.

I'm rather fortunate. I was able to get an orphan in the colors I wanted. I wasn't stuck with the most expensive add-on's. And I actually like the folks at the dallas smart center. {Allison & Amber in sales and Steve & Pete in service.}

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't have anything added to mine. I called the dealer and had a car a week later. For some reason they had a few spare cars they couldn't match to owners. Ya just never know...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Orphan driver

I'm driving an orphan and very happy. When you put your name on that list, and really are interested in getting a car, you need to be flexible. If you approach it that you will only pay the price of the vehicle you configured, you will be disappointed. I did not necessarily want the Cabrio, or the leather seats, or the pinstriping, however now that I have that in my little "Buzz" I can't imagine not having those upgrades. Remember, the nice thing about the orphan list is you don't have to take the car. If they call you with an orphan, the best thing to do is ask, what are the upgrades and what's the out the door price. Personally, as a Ford buyer with all the "A, B, C plans with discounts, it was nice, actually, not to have to do that dance with the dealer. Did I pay more than I would have if I had waited, yes. Would I be enjoying my Smart right now? No, I'd still be waiting.
BTW, We will be a too smart family soon. My husband's DD is in December!:)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you don't like the "add ons", then don't buy it. That is why they have a configuration stage. Just wait for the one you ordered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts