Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yellow 2008 Fortwo has a problem with both door latches. The latches themselves seem OK but the doors do not close tight. They rattle as I drive. When I get out and close the door both can be pushed in about 1/3 of an inch. I was going to move the striker in but they do not appear to be adjustable. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower hinge bolts have been known to loosen up. The door skin will have to be removed to tighten them. The latch is adjustable.
I had the front skin off, for a different reason, and there is no movement in the hinges at all. How do you adjust the latch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Yellow 2008 Fortwo has a problem with both door latches. The latches themselves seem OK but the doors do not close tight. They rattle as I drive. When I get out and close the door both can be pushed in about 1/3 of an inch. I was going to move the striker in but they do not appear to be adjustable. Any ideas?
I have the same color and year car.inhave had issues with both door latches but a different one than you. They stopped opening the door. I ended up putting tie wraps around the latch to give it more material to grab onto. You'll have to disassemble the latch. maybe your issue is caused by the same malfunction. The plastic in the mechanism wears away and fails to latch. Take one apart and see what's up. I've had no further issues with either of my door latches since wrapping the nylon tie wraps around them. Hope you see what I did and it's an easy fix for you too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts