Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I only got one key with my orphan I use my regular key door lock on the drivers door as much as possible to try and save my remote until I can make the 2 hour track to the nearest Smart dealership. I know that the lock cylinder is connected to the internal electric door lock solenoid with a cable and it can only be used to unlock the door.
Well mine all of a sudden has stopped working. Has anyone dealt with this problem and have a solution or tip? Could there possibly be a way to reset the function? Not sure if it's the switch assembly or a problem with the SAM. DCO

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Start by replacing the battery, or at least pop the remote (on the key) open and clean the battery and contacts. I have replaced the battery before and still had the 9 flashes, bending the contacts a bit helped them to make better connection to the battery and cured my problem.

If you press the lock button and the lights flash 9 times, that means it is time to replace the battery. I did read somewhere that you should swap remotes occasionally as they can forget about the other remote over time if they are not used. I usually swap keys at each oil change. I know, tough to do when you only have one key.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem isn't with my FOB. It's with the actual door lock that the key fits on the drivers door. When I insert the key and turn it to unlock the door, nothing happens.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Perhaps the cable came loose. If you remove the door handle, you'll see that there are two cables attached to it. One operates the door latch and the other operates the lock. If you can't determine if lhe lock cable is attached on both ends, you'll have to pull the door panel.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
As I recall, the door lock (using the key) was more or less designed as a way to get in if the fob failed. Not sure it was designed as a primary way to get in, it might not have a suitable duty cycle for a daily entry mechanism. My guess is you will have to remove the outside door panel. (inside one doesn't come off)

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Maybe I'm not understanding something, but why aren't you using the remote to lock/unlock the doors? If you have it and it works, there's nothing going to wear out AFAIK. Might need to replace the battery in it at some point is all. It's an item on the one year service list, but I'll wait to replace mine when I need it.

Len
2014 EV

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you only have one FOB you tend to baby it as much as possible. If it dies we all know the consequences are catastrophic and that means a new SAM to get new keys and FOB's. My only FOB has grand status in my home. I have made the wife sleep on the couch for the past year so that the FOB may sleep beside of me at night on a velvet pillow. When we go to the grocery store I bring along a baby stroller to carry the FOB in. Running down the battery isn't an issue, you can get 4 of them at Harbor Freight. I bought 2 replacement FOB cases and blades from Ebay for spares in case a button cover splits. If the FOB dies I don't know if it will still start the car or not, but if the FOB dies I won't be able to get in the car anyway because the keylock won't activate the electric door lock. I just feel like I'm on borrowed time. As soon as I get my tiny oil leak fixed I'll make the trek and surrender $400 or so for 2 more keys and FOB'S, but in the meantime I'll just baby it and pray !! DCO

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When you only have one FOB you tend to baby it as much as possible. If it dies we all know the consequences are catastrophic and that means a new SAM to get new keys and FOB's.
False. New SAM is not required to learn new keys if all are lost.

In the time when the car was down you could have sent the SAM and the key to SOS Diagnostics and gotten as many extra keys programmed to the SAM as you wished.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
If you lose all the keys, the car needs to go to a dealer with the STARR computer setup for reprogramming. If the STARR setup is not available, then the other method is to replace the SAM.
You could remove the SAM and send it plus any keys you want programmed to SOS diagnostics and they could get you going. You would need to include your existing key or it won't work when the SAM is returned.

I did talk to a good locksmith who said he could 'clone' one of my keys and it would work but I never followed through to see if it would work.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the OP was a little closer to Roanoke VA, I would offer to program a new key for them when I pass through next Tuesday/Wednesday on the way to the Dragon.
Thank you Huronlad for the offer, but I will get this taken care of soon. The wife and I need a little trip, a little mini vacation if you will and that will give us an excuse to. DCO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts