Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone else have heavy wind noise (door not sealing against chassis properly causing air noise at the seal) in their 453?

none of my other 453's do it besides one "edition1" and it's almost as if the window is open.. it whistles and sounds like door ajar...

4 visits to mercedes.. car has been with them more than with me.. and honestly it just gets worse and worse, making me wish i never tried to begin with.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
There was a solution posted to this issue, I believe; seems it might have been a simple dealer adjustment. A search will probably turn up the relevant thread.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car should be taken to a body shop and let them set the door properly with the correct equipment.
i agree... i went out and did about 30 test runs on a quiet isolated loop of road..

taping parts of the door seam one by one with each run

the sound 100% comes from under the door handle area... where the door jam makes a sharp turn... i suspect the door is either too high or low back there (too high would push the bottom part out, too low would leave a gap in the curve.

i STILL however have a whistle sound, which no matter where i taped would not go away.

i taped the entire door seal (drivers) still a whistle

i taped the entire windshield, still a whistle.

i even taped the seam lines from the "hood" and the headlight..

very frustrating.. honestly about to just sell the 453 and buy another to replace it since prices are so low lately (cars.com has several with under 1k miles for under 13k.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
car has been to mercedes of cincinnati 6x for this.. 5-7 days each time and all i get back is "we dont hear any noise"

problem not solved.. UK people said it's the alignment of the door but they wont order in a tool to check alignment or say it doesnt exist.. very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Our new passion has a wind whistle (howl). By taping the top seam between the rear hatch and the roof, side to side, the whistle stopped. I'm in the process of reducing the length of the tape to see if I can locate a specific spot.

I went through the taping effort on the door seams and other parts of the car without any success. Opening either window did not change the whistle. I would have expected a change in tone if the roof panel was loose. Even popping the door did nothing. The rear hatch would not open at speed, so we did not try that configuration change directly. My assessment is that the seal between the roof and the hatch is not engaging the plastic trim on the hatch properly. The trim seems to be higher than on our other 2016. The roof seems equally secure on both cars.

Shortened the tape on the back to cover the middle of the gap, leaving the 8" at each end without tape. No whistle. I'm not sure what my next adjustment will be.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Only time i ever really seem to experience a whistle is with a VERY strong gust of wind, and generally have to be on a freeway next to some K-rail for it to happen. Soooo... i guess mine isn't THAT much of an issue....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just a quick note to tell my story of Whistling repair. I just bought a 1st edition. Whistling on the test drive. I was lucky to see this thread. I sent the links to my salesman in Ann Arbor, MI. They were good about not wanting to deliver it until the noise was gone. It took them a few days, but they finally tracked it down to adjusting the spoiler above the hatch. It was just off center a tad. 200 miles today and no sound at all. This forum saves the day again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7 visits to dealer and still bad wind noise, as if window is open.

anyone have this issue and any real solutions besides dealer giving me a shoulder shrug

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick note to tell my story of Whistling repair. I just bought a 1st edition. Whistling on the test drive. I was lucky to see this thread. I sent the links to my salesman in Ann Arbor, MI. They were good about not wanting to deliver it until the noise was gone. It took them a few days, but they finally tracked it down to adjusting the spoiler above the hatch. It was just off center a tad. 200 miles today and no sound at all. This forum saves the day again.
i wish my dealer was as helpful

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There is a tool for diagnosing wind noise & water leaks in cars. It has been around for many years but a lot of techs. don't like to use it as it takes time to administer the test. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think it emits sound waves from inside the car and has a pick-up located outside the car that can detect a leak or void when it detects a signal. Probably takes 2 people to operate this tool. Another suggestion would be to call smartUSA on their 800 number and open up a case.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a tool for diagnosing wind noise & water leaks in cars. It has been around for many years but a lot of techs. don't like to use it as it takes time to administer the test. I can't remember exactly how it works, but I think it emits sound waves from inside the car and has a pick-up located outside the car that can detect a leak or void when it detects a signal. Probably takes 2 people to operate this tool. Another suggestion would be to call smartUSA on their 800 number and open up a case.
called them several times.. nobody really cares and just says "its an economy car".

irony is the primes i had never had any issues... and less road noise with the smaller wheels too.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have the Sport Package with the lower profile tires, you will experience more tire noise then you will with the standard tire/wheel package.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have the Sport Package with the lower profile tires, you will experience more tire noise then you will with the standard tire/wheel package.
have owned maybe 40 sports cars, most with low profile tires and never had as much road noise as this 453... i feel its the damn continentals... they are horrible and not even that low profile... half a notion to swap the tires out for something else.... but then ill still have a damn wind noise..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
have owned maybe 40 sports cars, most with low profile tires and never had as much road noise as this 453... i feel its the damn continentals... they are horrible and not even that low profile... half a notion to swap the tires out for something else.... but then ill still have a damn wind noise..
I'm not certain the Continentals are totally at fault. I don't believe road noise insulation has been properly addressed in the 453. Engine noise is substantially less though and that is very pleasant - especially a speed.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you owned maybe 40 economy cars suddenly the road noise you're hearing in your smart with sports package is just business as usual. There is no insulation padding between the firewall and front bumper. All the padding that I can find is in the interior cabin side of the car (there is lots of padding too). Outside the cabin, while there are wheel well and fender liners, once the noise gets into the shock tower area the noise echoes around and amplifies into the car. It's the same issue most econo cars have, and yes I'm going after all the major manufacturers of econo cars here.

Due to the competitive nature of chasing each mpg, increased acceleration, and a lighter car due to smaller engine sizes, sound insulation is often kept to a minimum. The good news is that if it bothers you tremendously, you can add insulation in your shock tower area specifically for noise. It's some DIY work, but if it bothered me as much as I'm believing it bothers you... it might be worth the money spent. You can probably do it with $100 or so, and an hour or two of your time maximum.

On the flip side, I personally believe the engine noise and vibration in the new smart 453 is very low considering how high the rpms can climb and the rear engine's close proximity to the seats. There is no engine vibration that transmits through the dash and steering wheel because the engine is rear mounted. So in many aspects, the car has a level of civility that out classes most other small engine vehicles (I'll aim for less than 2.0 liters).

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you owned maybe 40 economy cars suddenly the road noise you're hearing in your smart with sports package is just business as usual. There is no insulation padding between the firewall and front bumper. All the padding that I can find is in the interior cabin side of the car (there is lots of padding too). Outside the cabin, while there are wheel well and fender liners, once the noise gets into the shock tower area the noise echoes around and amplifies into the car. It's the same issue most econo cars have, and yes I'm going after all the major manufacturers of econo cars here.

Due to the competitive nature of chasing each mpg, increased acceleration, and a lighter car due to smaller engine sizes, sound insulation is often kept to a minimum. The good news is that if it bothers you tremendously, you can add insulation in your shock tower area specifically for noise. It's some DIY work, but if it bothered me as much as I'm believing it bothers you... it might be worth the money spent. You can probably do it with $100 or so, and an hour or two of your time maximum.

On the flip side, I personally believe the engine noise and vibration in the new smart 453 is very low considering how high the rpms can climb and the rear engine's close proximity to the seats. There is no engine vibration that transmits through the dash and steering wheel because the engine is rear mounted. So in many aspects, the car has a level of civility that out classes most other small engine vehicles (I'll aim for less than 2.0 liters).
was debating lining the fender well liners in a felt like material like the nicer cars have... the engine noise is minimal, the only vibration i have is at start up and feels like a broken engine mount almost but otherwise none.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
was debating lining the fender well liners in a felt like material like the nicer cars have... the engine noise is minimal, the only vibration i have is at start up and feels like a broken engine mount almost but otherwise none.
If you remove the fender and wheel well liners and add some noise insulation between the fender and wheel well liners, it will help somewhat. You can also try adding more padding in the interior cabin under the carpeting, and outside the cabin in the strut tower area. It will help somewhat, maybe even to your satisfaction. But the tradeoff will be more weight. You'll probably need about 25 pounds worth to notice a difference. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts