Smart Car of America Forum banner

Door won't lock or unlock with the key, turns OK

24K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ElementalDragon 
#1 ·
I've had my 2009 Smart ForTwo Pure for about a week now. it came equipped with the standard Gremlin with whom I have been doing battle. I think I'm going to win. I think I will, I think I will, I think I will, I think I will.

I like the fact that the car seems to have been engineered by designers with a totally clean slate. "Let's see what we can do that hasn't been done before". That's pretty cool.

I have discovered that the key lock in the driver's door will not lock or unlock the door(s). It turns, but nothing happens. The fob works fine, so it took a while for me to find this fault. Are the door locks actuated electrically as though the lock cylinder closes a switch, or is there a cable or rod to actuate the lock? My old 300SL did all the locks with a switch in the lock cylinder, and they were designed by the same company...

I have looked at some YouTube videos that tell me how to take off the door panel. (Surprise, it's the outside panel.) If I need to do that to reattach something, I will. Just tell me what I should be looking for, and I can probably figure out how to fix it. (Hey, I've owned the same MG for 47 years.)

#2 ·
The outside lock will not lock the car and it is only there as an emergency to unlock the driver's door if the battery in the remote dies... if there are any issues with locking the car with the remote or inside switch then you might not have all the doors fully closed... the tailgate is commonly the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I had to use the key to unlock the doors a few weeks ago because the car's battery had died. The fob's battery was fine. I discovered that the doors cannot be locked with the key when I went to lock it while waiting to be able to jump start the car. I think it was the wrong decision for smart to make the key an unlock only key. The extra pound of hardware wouldn't have added much to the weight of the car or costs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.