Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -- My doors won't lock.

I noticed my keyfob wouldn't lock my doors. No response at all. No lights flashing, nothing. Unlock button won't work. "Put the top down" button doesn't do anything. Key in the door? Nothing.

I replaced the battery in my keyfob, still nothing. Car starts right up with no problem. The door lock buttons on the center dash seem to work fine.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm so sick of the electrical problems with my smart. :(

·
Super Moderator
29,304 Posts
So the key in the door will not mechanically unlock the car either? That's unusual... Does the panic alarm work? Other people have had to pry up (gently) the battery contacts in the fob to make sure the battery is really connected. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi everyone -- My doors won't lock.

I noticed my keyfob wouldn't lock my doors. No response at all. No lights flashing, nothing. Unlock button won't work. "Put the top down" button doesn't do anything. Key in the door? Nothing.

I replaced the battery in my keyfob, still nothing. Car starts right up with no problem. The door lock buttons on the center dash seem to work fine.

Anyone know what's going on? I'm so sick of the electrical problems with my smart. :(
Just a simple thing but if you put the new battery into your fob backwards, the fob will not work. Easy to double check.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Assuming a new battery and the polarity is correct, open the remote key, inside you are going to find metal fingers springs that make contact with the battery. Gently squeezy these metal finger up towards each other. My new key (bought at eBay) and recently reprogrammed (by locksmith) was failing intermittently and randomly just like yours. Locksmith help diagnosed and correct the problem by squeezing metal finger. Problem went away and still working fine for more than a year.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The battery in the key fob, was placed in reversed Polarity. Do you have the extra key fob, that came with the car? Does it work?

its also possible, your key fob went bad too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts