Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was parked and inside shopping some blind douche backed into my poor Smart...apparently he didn't see it although there was no reason he needed to back into it as there was plenty of room for him to back out of his spot normally. Anyway... broken headlight and both panels scuffed( I came out to my service flap lying on the ground!!!!!!!!!) are panels repairable? or will they just replace? obviously headlight will be replaced. and is there a special circle of hell for dimwits who back into beloved Smarts? :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry to hear this! I'm not sure on headlight cost. But I just last week got my Ralley Red panels from MB Hartford. My accident was front and rear fender. So, from my receipt this is how it reads "451-881-01-01 CC0L CCFront Fend." $114.70. The rear fender was curiously the exact same $ price. Maybe this can start to help you....Best wishes. Billy.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Even though one of the big pluses of owning a micro car is supposedly that you can park where others can't ... I almost always park in the lower 40 ... out where the vehicle density is low and generally populated by store employees and people who give a damn about their cars.

I routinely enter the store in question before the orbiters, looking for the closest spot, get out of their vehicle. And, lord knows, walking a hundred yards or so ain't gonna hurt me.

Sorry about your experience OP. It sucks. Good thing is, repairs will likely cost less with a smart than they would with most any other vehicle.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
Sorry to hear that someone backed into your smart I'm also guessing that they didn't stick around or leave contact information.
You need to make sure that the steel frame under your panels didn't get damaged as well. If he hit hard enough to cause the service flat to fall off then he could have damaged parts you can't see. But I hope they aren't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he did wait for me with his insurance info...at least there was that. Unfortunately when I called Mercedes dealer today they told me they cannot get parts for my smart and I have to go several hundred miles to an actual smart dealer!!!!! I thought Mercedes made these!! where am I supposed to get my parts!!

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,861 Posts
where am I supposed to get my parts!!
IF d'bag has insurance it's really not your problem and do ask for a rental reimbursement.

Take it to any local body shop who can spell smart and M-B and advise them up front that the replacement body parts from smartUSA come pre-painted and clear coated in OEM colors.

Ask me how I know - picked up our smart Saturday after a similar (hood/fender) parking lot bumper car event . . . :D

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
>where am I supposed to get my parts!!

2 smart centers found within 100 miles of 17044

smart center germantown
(99 miles away)
19750 GERMANTOWN ROAD
GERMANTOWN, MD 20874

smart center of catonsville
(100 miles away)
6631 BALTIMORE NATIONAL PIKE
CATONSVILLE, MD 21228

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Penske sent all his body shop cars out to the local Toyota dealer. Smart/MB dealer here in Bloomfield Michigan, uses a large independent shop in Detroit.

Try your local Honda or Toyota dealer. They know the game. A2Jack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just spoke to Germantown people on phone...parts guy wasn't exceptionally friendly (how can you not be smiling and happy working around all those Smarts!!) body shop guy was better. 124.00 and 128.00 for panels and 256 for headlamp. They said shipping would be more than the sum of the parts...so I guess I am driving 100 miles to Germantown as soon as the adjuster pays a visit. I was also somewhat taken aback by the body shop for smart wanting to paint the panels. I was under the impression panels are impregnated with color and only clear coated and come this way...I cant imagine several painted panels on my smart while the rest are oem. that couldn't possibly match up??

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,861 Posts
anyone know the time involved with replacing driver side fender?
Not necessarily "real time" but by the book last week at a M-B shop . . .

Prepainted hood w/badge - $195
Prepainted L Front fender - $148
Tax - $ 23
2.8 hours of labor @ $44* - $123

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not that any of the fender prices are unreasonable, but why the huge % swing? My $114, his $128 and your $148, really? Unless the difference is mine are solid red, and higher for painted.......

·
Registered
199 Posts
Took 3 hours for 2 fenders

Oh and one thing I noticed doing the fenders, it seems more difficult to replace ONLY one. Now I only did it this one time, hopefully the last, but I followed the Evolution instructions. I sort of got stuck, because what I'm gathering is that the proper way to replace, say the one bad front fender, is to remove both, or in other words the whole front end.
I just couldn't justify taking both skirts and the whole front off to do one drivers fender. I was doing good until I got to the grill area. The dang thing is like an interlocking puzzle box and there are 1 (or 2) push pins that are SO hard to get at. But I was able to get it done with ALOT of patience. The rear fender was harder, and I was not able to install one pin because, just like the front, the whole rear needs to come off, be fixed then reinstalled as one unit.
Hope this makes sense, its early here, only on first coffee LOL!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
upon closer inspection I noticed the bracket that secures the headlight assembly is broken off. this seems to be a large part of the front end. and will probably take some serious time to disassemble. Adjuster was here today and will be back in touch after he does his 'research'. This was the second Smart he has seen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts