Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my check engine light came on in my 2008 Passion. Turns out both O2 sensors were bad. The dealer quoted a fortune, so after a little reading I ordered 2 OEM replacements and took them to my local mechanic. One fit perfectly, but apparently the downstream sensor is a 6 wire model, so he couldn't replace it.

Problem is, I can't find that part anywhere. Evilution says both are the same, but I guess they're not. If anyone has the correct information, or a similar story, I'd appreciate any help I can get

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
So my check engine light came on in my 2008 Passion. Turns out both O2 sensors were bad. The dealer quoted a fortune, so after a little reading I ordered 2 OEM replacements and took them to my local mechanic. One fit perfectly, but apparently the downstream sensor is a 6 wire model, so he couldn't replace it.

Problem is, I can't find that part anywhere. Evilution says both are the same, but I guess they're not. If anyone has the correct information, or a similar story, I'd appreciate any help I can get

FYI...

The wideband O2 sensor(upstream) is a 5 wire even though it has a 6 pin connector.
The downstream O2 (located in the cat) has 4 wires and a 4pin connector...
Both of them can be found on the net...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Downstream 4-wire is a Bosch 16749.

The upstream 5-wire is apparently unique to the USDM cars and I never did find a non-OEM equivalent to it. I suppose you could get a universal wideband and splice it onto the OEM plug and hope it works.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The upstream air-fuel sensor appears to be a dealer only item. I recommend you do not try to splice in a universal sensor in its place. You will be wasting your money because you will almost certainly end up buying the original one anyway when you discover the one-size-fits-none one does not work correctly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Some cars with a wideband primary use the secondary for fine tuning on the AFR. Not sure if that includes the USDM smarts.

O2 sensors are considered a wear item, so the emissions warranty doesn't cover them.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
All but completely certain that doesn't include the USDM smart, because the USDM smart fails horribly at maintaining a set AFR... and shouldn't O2 sensors be able to last 8 years? I know of at least one car twice as old and with 3x as many miles that the original O2 sensors were still doing fine on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts