Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:smartje.wt.zw:,
I tried to find some threads on my above problem and couldn't find any. If anyone faced the same problem I will be very glad for some advice, thanks. Generally I get these bad odors when the engine is running a DPF cleaning. I notice this as the revs go slightly higher over the 1000rpm when idle and I cannot stand the smell and have to open the windows for fresh air. However now this cannot remain an option now we are in winter. So I wonder if any can give me some good advice. I own a Smart fortwo CDI -2010 coupe, and until I finish a full fuel tank the engine runs about four times a DPF clean up, is this normal?

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
As US never legally received any CDI vehicles, they are not common at all here, and I haven't the slightest idea what a DPF cleaning is. I can guess D is for Diesel. P might be for particulate, F is for...I havn't the foggiest idea. You might do a little better on one of the Canadian smart blogs. Flossy the smart is one of the few participants on this forum that has a CDI, and is an inhabitant of Canada.
Best Wishes with your odors. Have you checked to be sure your engine hatch is properly engaged in the front hold down tabs? If not, that could be where engine odors could come in, also possibly around the emergency cable entrance to the cabin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might have not realised from the location that I am writing from the mediterranean sea island Malta. I thank you anyway for these hints and will take your point and Canadian blogs. The DPF stands for Diesel Particulate Filter and DPF cleaning is how the exhaust system works by increasing the revs thus increasing the heat in the exhaust chamber or DPF to remove the diesel silt. Thanks and hoping that this was of help for you too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Limited 1 you may want to check that the engine cover is on correctly, fumes could be getting into the cabin that way.

The forums based out of Europe will likely be a better source for info on the 451 cdi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huronlad, thanks for this hint someone else too mentioned this to me and will check it out. Cheers from Europe as we are part of the EU too :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
A DPF cycle running four times in one tank of fuel seems excessive. I am not familiar with the smart system specifically but most will have sensors to detect a pressure differential across the DPF to command a cleaning cycle to remove soot from the filter. You may have some other running fault that is causing excessive soot to be generated, or it may be a fault in the DPF system itself. It certainly does not sound normal. You may need to have a diagnostic system check performed.

I agree with the other posters that you should not be getting fumes in the cabin, and to check the fitment of the engine cover first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I have the same issue. Anyone found solution to this? Dpf fumes get inside cabin and if its not cabrio it make you suffer red eyes etc.i think it may be a leak from dpf or exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts