Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to say? If you weren't there you missed a fantastic smart gathering as well as the opportunity to put some faces with those user id's and get to meet a bunch of very enthusiastic smart owners. Lots of folks involved, but one guy made it happen - thanks Gary!!! :cool:

If a single photo had to sum up the weekend, it might be this one:

or this one:

or possibly this one:

hopefully not this one :confused:

but it probably has to be this one:

A really mixed group of folks; the youngest was a 9 year old named Sam and the oldest was... well, older than I am at least. Stock cars, modded cars, custom paint jobs, car on trailer, trailers with extra tires, motorhomes, smarts pulling trailers - you name it, you could find it there.

The best part of the weekend - for me, hands down it was doing the Dragon several times, both directions, wet and dry conditions, and finding out just how well a stock smart can handle that stretch of road. No doubt the highly modded cars were better at it, but the stock car is no slouch. That's something most of us never had the chance to discover until this past weekend and more owners should try something similar - find an autocross venue near you and have at it. You'll be surprised how well these little cars handle when pushed hard.

Had a great time, thanks again to Gary for making it happen, to everyone who turned out in spite of the weather, to Dave Schembri for braving the roads in a rented Toyota :eek: and to Louis (tvengineer) for bringing the New Orleans goodies:

More photos at: Picasa Web Albums - John - Outsmarting t...

·
Registered
217 Posts
What happens on the Dragon stays on the dragon, but I can testfy that
Sundays dry run with the Northern carvan was the most fun I had
even the motorcycles were yeilding to the down hill flyers this car only
gets better when asked to perform,10+ hp and even 1 Lap of America,
looks good.

See you in the parking lot next year

·
Super Moderator
28,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Absolutely! What I forgot to add was that I really wished there had been a turbo car (not the 450 cdi version) at the Dragon. The smart handles fine, but it doesn't have enough oomph out of the corners to the next turn, especially if it's an up hill run. I think the turbo would add the needed hp and with the right suspension and tires the smart would be a true Dragon slayer. :)

And another thing... one of the reasons I went to the Dragon was to see if taking the Corvette would be a good thing. After driving the smart, I've decided the Vette is just too big and there's no way you could throw it into those tight curves the way we did with the smart.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would trade my Mini Cooper for a turbo smart, that would really be cool
and then I could, take on Jet Fuel.He was really Quick.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,088 Posts
Absolutely! What I forgot to add was that I really wished there had been a turbo car (not the 450 cdi version) at the Dragon. The smarts handles fine, but it doesn't have enough oomph out of the corners to the next turn, especially if it's an up hill run. I think the turbo would add the needed hp and with the right suspension and tires the smart would be a true Dragon slayer. :)
I said the same thing to the wife coming back across the Dragon. :) I started using 2nd a lot more even if it was near redline going into the curve and had some better luck coming out of the turns, but more power is always welcome. The wider fronts definitely helped in the grip area compared to what I remember of the stock setup on WV twisties. And, the Dragon has two marked lanes! For added challenge on our back roads, we just don't mark them and let people in the hairpin sort it out!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
..Mr.jwight had a chance to experience both...the Pasion with a totally stock set up and a Brabus that some one was dumb enough to hand him the keys....very first turn in the Brabus and all we/I saw was him coming out of the grass on the right side...
...hope you enjoyed the very short time on that Brabus...it may or may not happen again...

jetfuel....thanks for the pics....
btw....bent a wheel when I hit that gianourmous pot hole before the 275 by-pass...but that's another thread.........................

·
Registered
240 Posts
Loved the pic and commentary. Glad to see there are some owners almost as old as I am. Only wish I could have got my 08 Cabrio a week earlier so I could have participated since I live in central NC and that would have been a great drive getting there.

Maybe I can generate a one day get togather somewhere up on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

·
Super Moderator
28,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Loved the pic and commentary. Glad to see there are some owners almost as old as I am. Only wish I could have got my 08 Cabrio a week earlier so I could have participated since I live in central NC and that would have been a great drive getting there.

Maybe I can generate a one day get togather somewhere up on the Blue Ridge Pkwy.
Sorry you missed it; Gary is working on Outsmarting the Dragon II as we speak so block off your calendar for next year. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
i saw you hit that hole, thought you were gonna loose it,

man that was a bad one, probably would have blown my airbag again if i would have hit it

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am just comming out of the FOG... from driving 1300+ miles in a little less than 60hr, including two nights in hotels.. and the EXTREME FUN I had meeting all of you and tackling the dragon!

BIG THANKS to Gary, and all who helped to organize the event....
IT WAS GREAT!

I can't say I will commit to next year... I have not recovered from this year yet.. but I loved it..

and I think we can now put the thread "Smarts cars can't climb hills" to rest forever...
These lilttle cars were made for the dragon!

I had so much fun...
The rain did make a mess of the Skyway run... In hindsite.. I wish I had just stayed and run the dragon a few more times... but the weather did not put a damper on the event.

thanks again to everyone who made this possible.

Louis

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
And another thing... one of the reasons I went to the Dragon was to see if taking the Corvette would be a good thing. After driving the smart, I've decided the Vette is just too big and there's no way you could throw it into those tight curves the way we did with the smart.
On Sunday I was glued to the rear of a late model 'vette headed East through the Dragon. He was slowing me down! OK, granted, he was probably out for a leisurely drive and wanted the little bitty car to stop crowding him ... but still. :p

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
...way to go Commander...for next year run we will install Photon torpedoes in your smart...

jetfuel...driving behind NCC1701...just in case

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jet Fuel your on, Jeremy Clarkson, from Top Gear as consented to send the Stig over for next years Tail of the Dragon, providing we can provide
a Brabus smart with an appropriate side intake to match performance
equivalant to your car. He is requesting a firm date for this event for
scheduling purposes.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
...bring'em on...better yet...we'll turn babybenz loose on that Stig with a plain Jane Pasion and then watch them say that the tune was off...lost a spark plug wire...the road condition were not to par...the weather was too hot...the weather was too cold...had the windows open...the radio was on the wrong station and so forth and so on...

jetfuel...where's my Nascar video game?

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
oh, man. That's it! I'm moving to the south... or the east... or the south-east... or the mid-west. You guys are having way too much fun! Thanks for sharing all the pictures and especially the stories. I (almost) feel like I was there. :burnout:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts