Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Smartmadness has them, in 4 Packs for $10 + S&H

Is there an equivalent available on, say, Amazon? I shop there regularly and could throw them in with another order.

I see an item, "
Honda 94109-14000 Oil Drain Plug Gasket Pack of 50", for the same price as a 4 Pack at Smartmadness with FREE shipping. Not saying that particular one is right for the 451, but you get the drift?

I found them individually on eBay, for about $2.50 + $13.61 S&H

Other vehicles have these available by the bagful for a few cents each.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You could measure the inside and outside diameter, and the thickness, then stop down to any auto parts store and have it crossed over to a Doorman product, or try a hardware store. Might be easier to just pick one up at a dealer, or Smart Madness..

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naw, I'll skip the 600 round trip to the dealer for a copper washer, LOL.

Now, I'll hope someone can post the dimensions, since I don't have a spare to measure.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll clarify. Nothing as complex as the drain plug. It's a friggin' copper washer.
They call it a drain plug gasket, or a seal ring.

So, you can see why it would irk me to pay $15 for a copper washer. Especially when other vehicles have their equivalent at the rate of $10 for 50, delivered.

Smartmadness has them for $2.50 each in packs of 4, plus shipping. I don't know how much that is since you have to identify yourself to find out, likely $7 or so. Bringing the net unit price to the $4.00 neighborhood.

This isn't a high tech item. I was just hoping someone could point me to an equivalent, locally available item.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I guess the real question is why do you want to replace it? Is yours leaking?

I think I changed mine the first couple of times because smart said to. I soon realized, they really aren't damaged in any way, so I've just kept using the same one since. Over 180K on the clock, oil changes every 5K, and it's still sealing fine...:D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Same here. I rarely replace the crush washer as long as it isn't damaged. Been doing that since my first car in 1961 and never a problem.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess the real question is why do you want to replace it? Is yours leaking?
I get your point. I replaced mine the first couple times. But I'm coming up on my 14th oil change and since it's been at least 10 changes, I thought it might be best to do so.
I don't change my own oil so I don't have the chance to inspect the old one for damage.

Maybe I'm crazy. I just keep thinking about smart's recommendation to replace it, and the fact that I haven't done so in years.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I get your point. I replaced mine the first couple times. But I'm coming up on my 14th oil change and since it's been at least 10 changes, I thought it might be best to do so.
I don't change my own oil so I don't have the chance to inspect the old one for damage.

Maybe I'm crazy. I just keep thinking about smart's recommendation to replace it, and the fact that I haven't done so in years.
You're not crazy. You asked a legitimate question. But Like I stated, I'm at roughly 34 oil changes on mine since I last replaced it, and no issues, so I would imagine you're fine...:)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm going to consider this case closed. Even though the price gouging still irks me.

I guess I'll just keep using the old one!

Thank you to all who responded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts