Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first tank of fresh gas only averaged 27.9 mpg. First full tank I got 33mpg but half of that was what ever was in it plus half a tank of fresh gas. Using shell 91 I thought would be a good choice no ethanol. I have been driving it a little harder shifting at 3500 maybe a little higher. Mostly city driving same as the first. Cars running great so idk.

·
Registered
912 Posts
So 8.4 L/100 km? That's a bit heavy, but there is so much dependence on individual driving patterns that it could happen.

Cold weather, driving through snow, short trips, stop and go, using unnecessarily low gears will all take their toll.

Try using automatic mode for a bit to rule out being in unnecessarily low gears.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No fun indeed.
Ya I'd be run off the road if I left it in auto mode. People here don't like it if someone drives a little slow to save gas. Everyone is in a hurry to no where and to the boards when the lights turn green.
It's been warmer since the previous tank and I've been idling less. I'm also trying to shift at 3000. I watched in auto mode at it shifts around 2600. I might try a different gas brand as well.
Ya 8.5 is not good. Like I said my first was 7.2 and i was pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Soft peddling the gas up to 45MPH (peak MPG)(do not exceed for the duration of your trip). Judge your stops, to use as little breaking as possible (coast down from speed)(achieve factory rated MPG)... "ARE WE HAVING FUN YET"...<:-((

I wouldn't Lie to you...<:))

Note: Think happy thoughts ~ Don't "EVER" check your Mileage ~ The Cost Of Driving the piss out your car gives "TOTAL Fulfillment" ~ When your car needs Feeding, FEED IT, don't dwell on it....

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
You could get a scangauge or ultragauge to help in training yourself to get the best KPL (kilometers per litre?) It will let you know when you are heavy on the pedal. I found that when I was holding a constant speed, I would put too much pressure on the pedal and I could back off a bit and still hold a steady speed. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well at a $1.55 a liter for gas I hope some of this helps. That's $5.87 a US gallon :) The whole point of buy the car was for the fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Like a good lover... you must play with the pedal as you accelerate. Put feeling into it, stay in D and just drive the thing. Your fellow road travelers can't be any more aggressive than ours here.
Realize also in your neck of the woods it's very cold and that will also affect mileage because a parked smart car's engine will lose it's heat real quick too and I bet it never even reached the high engine temperatures as ours do in FL.
There are numerous factors such as cold tire rubber, cold wheels which resists more, etc.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
IF this is a brand new car, there is a "break in" period.

First 3 tanks are always the worst, but they should get progressively better?

My first tank (2008) was 26. I was seriously pissed at my dealer.
The second tank was 29, third was 31 yadda yadda yadda.

Now I average 43.7 over the last 87K miles?

FYI, since 91 oct is hard to find, I always bump up to 93 (Premium)
(and one experiment with 110 Avgas, I don't recommend that)

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
..when was the last maintenance done???..
...how old are the filters oil and plugs???

Jetfuel...better than worse average...

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have been running 91 octane (10%) ethanol & just made 51.2 mpg this tank mostly in town. I'm pretty impressed with this little car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I checked gas mileage after a road trip today of 180 miles. 36 MPG! I thought it had been getting lower but this was an unwelcome surprise! :(

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
IF this is a brand new car, there is a "break in" period.

First 3 tanks are always the worst, but they should get progressively better?

My first tank (2008) was 26. I was seriously pissed at my dealer.
The second tank was 29, third was 31 yadda yadda yadda.

Now I average 43.7 over the last 87K miles?

FYI, since 91 oct is hard to find, I always bump up to 93 (Premium)
(and one experiment with 110 Avgas, I don't recommend that)
Did the Avgas cause any problems or just too expensive?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well this tank was 6.3l/100 or 37.5 mpg. I kept the rpms below or at 3000 a little lighter on the throttle and used 5th a little more when I could. 95% city driving and didn't lower my speed just how I got there.
I haven't checked the filter I ordered a K&N drop in which should be here tomorrow. Plugs should be fine barely 40000 miles on them. No idea on pervious maintance the log book was only used twice from the dealer but there's a sticker from an independent service station on the window.
I said fresh because the car had sat at the Benz dealership for almost a year and then a few months at the used dealers lot. Same owners.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I checked gas mileage after a road trip today of 180 miles. 36 MPG! I thought it had been getting lower but this was an unwelcome surprise! :(
That's about where I'm at too, now....
WINTER blend and exceptional cold weather has taken it's toll on MPG's.

I'm down around 35 - 36 instead of my usual 42 - 43 :(

I DID manage to get just over 40 out of the last tank since the weather warmed up :)

Come on warmer weather and SUMMER blend :p

·
Registered
465 Posts
That's about where I'm at too, now....
WINTER blend and exceptional cold weather has taken it's toll on MPG's.

I'm down around 35 - 36 instead of my usual 42 - 43 :(

I DID manage to get just over 40 out of the last tank since the weather warmed up :)

Come on warmer weather and SUMMER blend :p
Cotterpin ('13 Pure) does similar. Summer blend 40-43mpg. Winter blend 38 mpg unless temps drop into the single digits then I get 35-36.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The 110 oct avgas was expensive.

I only put a few gallons in an almost empty tank.

Got REALLY impressive pick up AND threw a half dozen codes (don't recall which ones?)

When I got the codes cleared at the dealer, the mechanic told me

"DON'T do that ever again!"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts