Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
40000 miles, The plugs may have been changed. The owners manual says to change them at 30,000.Right after I changed mine,I got a few tanks of poor MPG but it got better and now runs right around 40 -46 with 116,000 miles on the clock.

·
17,377 Posts
Could be a mix of driving style, weather, and the petrol itself.

My lowest ever tank in 41,000 miles was 31 MPG. I spent most of that tank at either 4+k RPM or barely moving at all (spinning myself out of snow, bumper to bumper traffic, etc). Then on top of that it was deep into the negatives outside and my engine couldn't keep itself warm.

Fuel economy has so many factors to consider that it's crazy. But at least from how you describe it, yours could be caused by driving style, climate, and winter blend petrol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ya it's unlikely they were changed. I didn't know they needed to be changed that often it's not too bad outside today so maybe I'll pop the cover off and see how much of a pita it is to change them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So I thought I'd look into a service at the dealership and $575+taxes. That includes an oil change, full inspection, and changing plugs. Not cheap.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The 110 oct avgas was expensive.

I only put a few gallons in an almost empty tank.

Got REALLY impressive pick up AND threw a half dozen codes (don't recall which ones?)

When I got the codes cleared at the dealer, the mechanic told me

"DON'T do that ever again!"
You're real lucky you didn't poison the cat and have that expense to deal with!:eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
With out a doubt the worst setup for that air cleaner box. After fighting with it for 10 mins it's pretty dirty. It had to have been changed at least once but with all the crap that was on the band clamp it's been a while.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hahah yes SmartMadness, Breathless, and The Smart car parts warehouse :)
It's number 2 on my list.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well filled it again and 38 mpg or 6.1L/100. Well w/e it don't know maybe I got some bad gas or something. Thanks for the input peeps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When my 2011 was new it got only 39 MPG, it gets better after break in. Now in mile high city I get 43 in town and around 52 on Freeway. Think one should do better at sea level...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Air box w/those worthless chambers is pain to remove... but cut them off & seal openings w/plastic & epoxy and you got better pipe then those silicone $90 USD products. Put over 25K miles on my intake pipe mod, it works just fine, see no problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I was thinking of doing the same thing as well. I was going to order the maddness pipe, then I read the cheapo mod with the dodge part but after having a good look cutting off the two chambers and sealing up the holes would be far cheaper in the end.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts