Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I’m new to my ‘08 Passion coupe. It has 31K miles on it, in very very nice shape. Never been driven in snow and previous owner (original owner) swore he had only driven it in the rain two or three times!
I put in a new set of spark plugs in this afternoon (the ones I pulled out looked nice, kind of beige, not burnt up). All the same.
I put iridium plugs in. Took it for a test drive. Ran stronger than with the older plugs that came out! I was encouraged!
My wife and I went to dinner (one mile from home) ran great! On our way home, as you accelerated, you would lose power. If you dropped it into neutral, you can get the motor to rev up. Put it back in gear, you couldn’t go faster than a mile or two an hour. Felt like a dirty fuel filter. But it would clear up then act up again! I put my simple scanner on the car and we got a P2178 code, “Bank 1 Too Rich”. This came on all of a sudden!
I don’t have a concrete story as to the history of this car. The original owner was told by his mechanic that the motor had seized and couldn’t be fixed so the owner sent it to the scrap yard! That’s where I purchased it from! I brought it home put a new battery in it and installed 3.7 qts of Mobil 1 and a new filter, re-set the transmission and started it up! I’ve put about 40 miles on it thus far. I don’t know where to start looking for problems. Anyone with any ideas?
Thank You,
Larry in East China MI.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Sounds like your car, went into it’s limp mode. Did you try clearing the code? How do you Reset the transmission? Time to take it to a smart dealership. It probably, needs complete look over. Since it was sent for scrape.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Smark!
That link was very informative!
It had the three bars of death, I followed the procedure I’ve found on this site.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latest update!
I’ve purchased an iSoftcar scanner and ran through different scans and found that my upstream (before converter) O2 sensor has a constant reading of 0Volts. According to a mechanic friend of mine, this may be why I’m showing bank 1 rich. It also will go into limp mode as well. I’ll look to see that I have 12vdc feed voltage before I change the sensor out. I’ll report back soon!

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,073 Posts
Switch coil pack one and three.

Clear the code, see if the problem moves.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Matt, I did that and found no results. I may not have mentioned, I’ve had codes for all three cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Does the gear indicator flash when this happens?

Reactions: Firea100

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I installed a set of iridium plugs in with no difference. Re installed the original plugs. The looked fine with no wear and a light beige color, just like you’d hope for.

Th gear indicator does not flash. It operates as it should

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Hmmm, so it's probably not your transmission getting stuck and confused.

Reactions: Firea100

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No ma’am! I have narrowed it down to the upstream O2 sensor. On the scanner it shows 0 VDC. The downstream one is moving up and down as far as the voltages, you can move it with pedal activation. But the upstream shows nothing. I have to investigate if I have voltage at the connector and that might mean it’s powered but not reacting to anything.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, today I installed the upstream O2 sensor. The scanner still reads 0VDC on the upstream sensor. I thought I saw somewhere that there’s a fuse for the O2 sensor? Supposedly for the “heater’ in the sensor. Is this possible?

Next: I’ve found that by moving the coil packs I can get the miss-fire to move to different cylinders. I clearly marked each coil pack and then moved “NO 2” coil pack to the no. 3 cyl position and it now shows that the no 3 is mis-firing! Could i have an intermittent problem with ole no2 coil pack?

And Lastly: there’s an electrically controlled vacuum valve (pic attached) There are three ports on it labeled 1-2-3. 2 and 3 have homes. 2 (I think) goes to the EGR valve which sits on the passenger side back of the engine. 3 (I think) goes down the front of the engine and somewhere very dark! Not exactly where but a tug on it feels solid as if it’s still hooked up.
No.1 port doesn't have a hose leading to it. I’m thinking that may be a vacuum source that I need to find? Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Larry in East China Mi

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm feeling pretty good today. Give me a moment and I'll go out to my car and pull the engine cover and see if I can find that vacuum source you're looking for, bear with me.
Hand Arm Shoulder Cloud Leg

Here you go.
I don't have anything connected to that nipple either. I didn't feel well enough to get underneath the car and trace any of the hoses down.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jo e Lefors, Thank You! I guess it doesn’t go anywhere!
I appreciate your effort!

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
I can second that. I replaced this piece in my 2008 smart 451 and it did not have any connection to a vacuum line.
(I too, thought it odd, but others confirmed it as well).

Jim

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You are most certainly welcome.
Yours was easy. Glad I was able to post the picture thus verifying that no hose goes to that fitting within 15 mins. of my original reply. Not bad for an old guy.
I checked my oil while the cover was off. So two birds with one stone, so to say.

Most members I've helped have been over the phone I have them go to their car I go to my car and then I them explain what they are trying to do or explain their problem.
A lot of the help I offer is behind the scenes.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone looked (with a scanner) to see what the voltage is coming from the upstream O2 sensor? This new sensor is showing 0VDC, just like the original one!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
…engine warm…do a couple of wide open throttle…it should go from .01 to .98 volts…
…sensor needs to see changes in O2 content something it can’t see at idle..

jetfuel…luk

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Understood. I’ve been driving it through all rpm ranges. It never changes from 0VDC. The downstream sensor changes voltages with the change in rpm’s and load, like you’d expect it to.
Another item of interest.
This car has 31k miles on it, it’s been driven in rain 3-4 times in its life. Never driven in snow. All the wiring,as well as the rest of the car,
look almost new! Nothing is chopped or spliced. All grounds are fresh and clean.

A little bit of history on myself.
I’m 66 years young, a retired firefighter, I’ve worked at Holley Carburetor when I came out of the U.S.Navy. Then to Chrysler Engineering for two tours there as an experimental mechanic. I built and raced a ‘74 ‘Cuda 440-6 pack, a 71 Dodge Demon powered by a 426 Hemi, a Dodge A-100 pickup with a 412 HP small block. And a big handful of motorcycles. I’ve designed and built three houses. I’ve had 6 years of architectural and mechanical design. So what I’m trying to say is I understand mechanics pretty good. I purchased this ‘08 smart for a real good price because of a mechanics mis-diagnosis of a seized motor!
The car has just got some check engine codes that are haunting me. The one code showed a mis-fire on number 2 cylinder. I moved the coil packs around and the mis-fire followed where I put the suspect coil pack.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
…upstream sensor tells computer to change injectors pulse…
…O2 sensor ground is not the same as car ground…it goes to engine computer…
…if coil swapping shows fault movement then let’s fix that …

jetfuel…looking at wiring for pesky ground pin location

1 - 20 of 23 Posts