Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... Not a total failure, but... You know.

Had my housekeeper take the Cabrio in for her 70K check-up a few weeks ago (viz. story posted elsewhere), the new starter, new alternator, charcoal canister, purge valve, and new battery cable the other week, and they uncovered something in the right rear drive axle. I figured after as much money thrown at the car as I just threw, the axle could wait...

well, now I'm home for a few weeks, before jetting off to Tokyo for a month, and there's no time like the present to deal with this axle... Took her into Bloomfield Hills, and they had the old axle out of the car in about 40 minutes. Showed it to me, next to the replacement axle; several broken splines where the axle meets the hub. No wonder...

Two hours and a middlin' chunk of US Dollars later, the car's back to Her usual zippy, no-dash-alerts self. Wheee, &c. Just in time to drive over to work a couple of pistol matches in northern Ohio this & next week (in Canton this week and Camp Perry next week).

It's nice to be back in my beloved Cabrio....

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Dang! I don't even want to know how much coin you dropped on those repairs! Hopefully your cabrio is good for another 100K miles now...

BTW, how exactly to you snap axle splines on a car with a 70 hp 3 cylinder?:shrug: Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was the reluctor ring, the other side will likely be in a similar state.
Oddly enough, the reluctor ring looks fine. No one could figure out why the splines let go, other than just age, mechanical flaw, and/or bad luck. Take your pick.

FWIW, the total repair bill was under $500, which surprised the crap out of me, although on top of all the other rubbish I've had done to the car this spring (ESPECIALLY the emmisions crap involving the fuel system) the aggregate is a pretty hefty sum... Plus having to drop a Kilobuck on my K3500 Dually, for new front brakes & bearings... ANd people wonder why I do what I do for a living... (answer: it pays *very* well.)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Who travels more, you or jetfuel? As little as I fly, I would look at that as a job perk, until I got tired of it (which would take years).

I'm bit concerned about all of your repairs, in view of my car's 74K miles on the clock. I'm anticipating it'll begin getting needy soon, but my wretched job doesn't pay enough to brag about. Glad you got it all straightened out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts