Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
BUT they are not equipped to see if auto/update via GPS was ever done so the website offers to d/l it onto your usb and then you plug into car to try to install that firmware.

The dealer can do a firmware check in their shop, but a 75 mile trip there for me is an exercise in pain. So I'll trust that the gps update went thru at some point in time.
451 Smart Fortwo is incapable of doing a BMS software update by GPS.

Such updates require a hardwire connection to proprietary Daimler link.

USB download was NEVER an option.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I went to smartusa.com which checked my VIN and showed nothing outstanding. BUT they are not equipped to see if auto/update via GPS was ever done so the website offers to d/l it onto your usb and then you plug into car to try to install that firmware. I did all that but their photo of a usb port directly under the brake lever is not my 451, must be the 453. I have nothing under my brake lever and the glovebox usb just asks for toonz. . The dealer can do a firmware check in their shop, but a 75 mile trip there for me is an exercise in pain. So I'll trust that the gps update went thru at some point in time.

VR. PNW. USA. 2016_ED. 2014 Spark_EV. 2012 ModelS.
--
Like all cars for the last 15 years at least, the Smart's interface is a standard OBD connector. If you are sitting in the drivers seat, it is located above your right leg.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Had Ed hauled to the Gainsville MB dealer last Saturday, they had it ready the following Wednesday and I picked it up this Thursday morning. My customer copy of the service stated it had an internal electrical fault. That contactors for the HV battery had malfunctioned. "New HV battery required". They did a complimentary multi-point inspection, washed, and vacuumed the car. All at no cost. It now runs great again and there is a 1 year or 12,000 mile warranty. Having owned a Triumph, Opel, Saab, Isuzu, Scion, and now a Smart, I am kinda used to owning cars that are discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
You my friend just hit the dead ED 451 HV battery LOTTO!

That only 5 days ago you left "dead ED" with the dealer and got it back today is awesome and highly irregular! Replacement HV batteries seem to be made of unobtainium and such parts must be hauled by ground yet yours was sourced and replaced in less than a week!

I'm amazed . . .

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.