Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through the stickies until my eyes crossed. Do anyone have any experience at disassembling the driver door latch assembly? I can no longer unlock my door with the key. I don't do that often, but it is nice to do sometimes. The cable to the lock cylinder is broken. I removed the latch assembly from the door frame but the inside latch lever cable and the outside latch lever cable are still attached and the assembly is hanging from the door frame. I removed the little phillips head screws that hold the cover on the latch assembly. I then proceeded to CAREFULLY with a small screwdriver pry out theplastic spring tabs that also holds the cover on the latch assembly. Each of the plastic catches are very brittle and most of them has broken on me, and that's trying to be careful prying them out enough to let the latch assembly cover come off. But to despite removing the screws and springing the catches, I have had no luck getting the latch assembly apart. I need to be able to replace the lock cylinder cable and to do that I must get the latch assembly apart to do that. Also where can I find a replacement cable OTHER THAN the Mercedes dealer? DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks you two for the info, you got me on the right track now. It appears that the cable that goes from the lock cylinder to the latch assembly is made as a part of the assembly, so it is useless for me to try to take it apart as that would ruin it. Here is where my cable broke. It broke at the back of the lock cylinder.

If the lock cylinder cable is broken there's no removing it to replace it from the assembly so I must replace the whole assembly.

The inside door handle and outside door handle cables are replaceable and accessible.
INSIDE DOOR HANDLE CABLE

OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE CABLE

My cable is frayed and broken at the lock cylinder end. It appears that one of the previous owners might have used it exclusively to unlock the door. That's entirely possible seeing as how there was only one key with the car when I bought it.The owner could have been "saving" the last remaining FOB and using the key in the lock.
When you put the key in the lock cylinder you can turn it either direction. One way pulls the cable and it unlocks the door. If you turn it the other direction nothing happens, or so you think. Turning it the wrong way causes the cable to kink and ultimately frays the cable near the end and it breaks.

I did learn a couple of neat items from the Evilution site about our doorlocks. We all know the doors lock at 8 mph unless we disable it. But I didn't know the flashers acivate in a panic stop OR a collision. I also didn't know the doors unlock if you're in an accident. That allows firefighters to get to you after a collision. But anyway I didn't know about the mbpartsexpress site ! I'll just have to order me a new latch assembly. It's cheap insurance to keep from getting locked out. Now if I could just buy the little keyhole cover that hides the lock from the outside , I would have it made. Thanks again guys for the info. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy the handle latch assembly at Autobahnsmart for 1/2 the cost of MBpartsexpress:

Fortwo Passion Pure 2008-2014 OEM Outside Left Door Handle ? Autobahn Used SMART 451 Parts

And the door lock actuator with cables:

Fortwo Passion Pure OEM Left Side Door Lock Assembly ? Autobahn Used SMART 451 Parts

That's amazing StevenJB. That's actually cheaper than I can buy a USED one on E-bay. Never heard of AutoBahn but I'm sure glad you told me about it. Thank you so much for the info. AutoBahn here I come ! !!! ( I'll ask the wife where she hid my credit card ! ) DCO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts