Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
For the record my driver mirror shakes also. It's not bad enough to have repaired yet. From the way it looks Smart doesn't have a fix for it anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wonder if some thick foam stuffed between the inside of the mirror and the housing would absorb the harmonic vibration. Foam of any thickness can be purchased from almost any fabric store. What does anyone think about this. (just a thought) :confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try placing a small weight on the back side of the mirror near the edge. If the mirror vibrates vertically, place the weight on the top or bottom. If the vibration is horizontal, put it on the left or right edge. The extra weight adds mass to the mirror and will change its frequency response to vibrations in the car. A small amount of weight will work wonders.
Yep, I'll bet you think smarticus is putting us on, but it's an old motorcyclist's trick.

Adding weights will decrease the mirror's natural frequency.

This is exactly what I would try.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For the record my Drivers side mirror vibrates at highway speed and has gotten worse over s short period of time. It also vibrates when going over any bumps in the road. Verified by smart tech.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I wonder if some thick foam stuffed between the inside of the mirror and the housing would absorb the harmonic vibration. Foam of any thickness can be purchased from almost any fabric store. What does anyone think about this. (just a thought) :confused:
Yes, I have done this successfully with a Honda Prelude. It was a small block of open-foam plastic foam, resilient enough to dampen the vibration, but soft enough to allow the electric aiming movements. Still have a piece.

·
Registered
731 Posts
For the record (put in another post) my rear view mirror (the one inside the car) buzzes violently, and so does my passenger vanity mirror against the plastic cieling when the visor is up. I'm taking my smart in on thurs for the post-breakin oil change, and they said they'd take the mirror apart to see whats wrong. I'll let you know the result!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
All three of mine are now in sync with the tire or motor resonance at 2100 miles

There is nothing to be done about the inside mirror, my tires are going to be professionally removed put on properly and dynamically ballanced... I refuse to believe 3 big weights right at the fill TPS valve is the proper mounting location...all tires have a heavy spot indicated and is supposed to be 180 form the tire valve... hummmmm

One of these days I will have enough free time to disassemble an exterior mirror and play with stick on weights or foam stuffing.... I was not pissy at first, but now they all three are not usable at 58~74MPH... on any road surface...however they are quite stable at 45~57 or 75~85...go figure

·
He's not mine
9,611 Posts
I have not noticed this problem. Have (so far) the stock radio antenna. I'll pay close attention tomorrow. But, as obvious as it seems to be to you folks ... I'm sure I would have noticed it too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well after all the experiments.........CURED......the cure.....a complete mirror assembly, which has been back ordered for 2 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
you got a replaced mirror?

hey the new mirror housing helped solve the shaking mirror at highway speeds? how did you get your dealer to replace?

mine just said it is normal? since the demos did it too... what is different about the new mirror over the original from factory?

i got my car in march 2008

mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
Perhaps this is an issue with the electric mirrors? My mirrors are manual, and there is no shake. My whole car is as tight and shake/rattle free as anything out there...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts