Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I've slid back and I can't get up! :D

I moved my seat back all the way to clean/vacuum under it. Now it's stuck all the way back. When I pull up on the handle, the two pins on each side retract up and out of the lower rail. But when I try to move the seat forward, there's a hard stop on the right side. There's a good chance something fell down in the track jamming it, but I can't find anything or see anything looking with a flashlight down the rails. I'm wondering if something isn't retracting far enough or perhaps there's another pin, latch or something that's not retracting when it's supposed to?

Most of you wouldn't worry about this, but I'm only 5'6" and my legs are even short for being short! I'm fresh out of Elton John platform shoes. What's a guy to do? :eek:

Anyone else have a problem with their seat being stuck at some point on the rail? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Doc. It's hard to move the seat when someone is not sitting in it. If you are sure the rails are clear. get someone to sit in the seat (best a big ol guy) to jiggle it forward while holding up on the handle.

Good luck getting it loose. A2Jack.

·
Registered
322 Posts
yeah it is probably a dime. That was my car everyone was trying to fix. it was really hard to see but it slipped between the rails vertically.

·
Banned
936 Posts
Probably a Dime. The only way way is to take the seat out of the car and turn (the seat) upside down.
....OR you could just have a group of friends over, offer up a few beers and have them pick your smart up, flip it over and SHAKE IT. the coin should come out, no problem. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
really not funny that a coin could cause such trouble. In my 2009 Smart Car case it was a nickel in the drivers seat right rail locked that seat to the rear tight---How I not easily made the repair---Disconnect the battery--Under the drivers seat use care disconnect the air bag, electric seat heat and seat belt electrical connections. (If you don't the car will show a mechanical fault you will need the dealer to clear the problem) You will need T 45 & T50 Torx , 18 mm wrench & 14 mm wrench--remove the seat back first (watch to use care of the electrical connections) remove the two 18mm seat belt bolts first one on each side of the seat, then the four T45 bolts holding the seat back to the seat base--now you should able to get to the four T50 Torx bolts holding the seat base to bottom rail (under the front two bolts a 14mm wrench will be required to keep the nut from spinning while removing from the base. Then lift the seat an find your coin or what ever it is jamming the seat causing you such grief.
Reverse instructions and all should be well---In my case I thought how hard could this seat problem be--just simply remove a few bolts --well--- 3 1/2 hours later I was finished -- and got a nickel for my trouble

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seat rail unstuck without removing seat

I've had this happen to me and it was a nickel caught in the rail.

My MB technician was kind enough to treat this problem as a puzzle and recovered the coin in 5 minutes as I watched. All that was needed was a flash light and a hooked flat head screw driver (but try needle nose plyers)

Once you push the bottom seat cushion away from the sides and toward the center of the seat you will see the coin and you will understand how it could have found its way to the top of the rail.

This is what he did:
1) Looked at the section of the rail above the seat hinge (where the seatback hinges).
2) Rock the seat forward and back so as to notice the offending coin shaking in the rail about an inch or 2 before this hinge.
3) Once you can approximate where the coin is, attack from the top.
4) From above, turn your attention to the bottom seat cushion and gently push the outside of the seat cushion toward the center of the seat. You should be able to see to the top of the seat rail/track.
5) The rail and seat parts are black but the coin will be silver (in my case). Remember that you will be looking at the top of a coin standing on its side, so it might look like part of the rail. Gently try to capture the coin by flipping it out of the way or grab it with plyers.

I hope this helps

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
We kind of make light of a coin stuck in the track but it is a real problem as it is quite common for change to fall out of a pocket and end up in there. If it gets at the right angle or you try to force the seat forward or back, and the coin gets bent, it can be extremely difficult to remove. That and the fact you can't drop a magnet in there and retrieve the coin doesn't help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
*** STUCK SEAT SOLVED *** My 2008 Fortwo Pure has had the driver seat stuck fully back for quite a while, but the car was intentionally parked over the winter, I'd transferred plates to a newer car. This spring I've decided to sell it, but couldn't in good conscience sell it with the driver-side seat stuck. Following instructions earlier in this thread, I looked very hard for a stuck coin somewhere, but saw nothing. Experimentally fashioned a piece of flat, thin metal (from curtain rod) & was able to slide it in along the rail, front to back, proving to me that the 2 spring-loaded pins on each side were indeed fully up & clear of the track, not causing the track hang-up. Then thought I'd remove the seat by removing the 4 corner T45-head bolts, but seat fully back covered the rear bolts nearly impossibly. In frustration, I decided to remove the 3 Torx bolts (2 T45 & a smaller one) that appeared to bolt the outside of the driver seat to the track mechanism. Bolts removed, upper part of seat pushed slightly upward out of the way, I found a penny along the exposed track with 4 gouges around it's circumference. I set it aside & retried the seat position adjustment lever - seat slid forward & backward like new. Reassembled everything, I think I'm good to go again. Just FYI, this also happened to my other 2008 Fortwo, under warranty, the dealer ordered & installed a new seat back in 2010.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
Help, I've slid back and I can't get up! :D

I moved my seat back all the way to clean/vacuum under it. Now it's stuck all the way back. When I pull up on the handle, the two pins on each side retract up and out of the lower rail. But when I try to move the seat forward, there's a hard stop on the right side. There's a good chance something fell down in the track jamming it, but I can't find anything or see anything looking with a flashlight down the rails. I'm wondering if something isn't retracting far enough or perhaps there's another pin, latch or something that's not retracting when it's supposed to?

Most of you wouldn't worry about this, but I'm only 5'6" and my legs are even short for being short! I'm fresh out of Elton John platform shoes. What's a guy to do? :eek:

Anyone else have a problem with their seat being stuck at some point on the rail? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello,
I have removed both front seats from my smart using Torx T45 and T50 sizes.

Both my seats were worn. There is a mechanism which moves the pin which goes in the frame hole to hold the seat in place . When the lever that you pull starts to bend, it gets harder and harder to move the pin until it's completely out of the hole.

Cheap, soft steel was used instead of something harder.

I am thinking of grinding the pins so that they are shorter, so that they can be more easily lifted clear of the holes in the frame.
This is the only fix I can think of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've not had any problem with lever bending in either of my 2008s.
To strelnik: do you have a problem with seat stuck in track?
You can read in my previous post that I suspected the pins weren't disengaging, but I was wrong.
It was a penny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
how to I raise my driver seat it’s stuck all the way back
Doc. It's hard to move the seat when someone is not sitting in it. If you are sure the rails are clear. get someone to sit in the seat (best a big ol guy) to jiggle it forward while holding up on the handle.

Good luck getting it loose. A2Jack.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
I've not had any problem with lever bending in either of my 2008s.
To strelnik: do you have a problem with seat stuck in track?
You can read in my previous post that I suspected the pins weren't disengaging, but I was wrong.
It was a penny.
Thanks for this, I will wait until the snow stops in Michigan to work on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had 2 Smarts over 12 years and just had it happen for the first time. Spent hours working on it but in the end it's a 5 minute job so hopefully the next guy sees this. Mine was stuck on the right side of the drivers seat. I found it hard to tell where it was from trying to move it so just think about which pocket your change was in. Remove the two T45 bolts on the hinge cover where the seat belt buckle is. It can be a bit tight to get a driver in there so something short or a flexible/pivoting adapter would help.
Once these two bolts are removed you can push the top half of the seat back enough to find your money.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts