Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
So I finally had some time this afternoon to pull the factory air intake tube out of my 2015 Brabus and replace it with a silicone intake tube. There was a bit of a learning curve, but I was successful, without destroying the factory tube.

First, loosened the two clamps on either end of the factory tube, and pulled off the vent hose from the valve cover. The factory tube is held by one ball socket under it to a bracket, which is disconnected by pulling up on the left side of the factory intake tube, and one T27 star bolt on the far right, attaching to a mounting point on the engine. You have to come at the bolt from the very back of the engine, under the rear edge of the engine compartment opening. You’ll need to be a bit of a contortionist to get to it. You then have to remove the bracket that the ball socket is on, under the factory intake tube. It’s held on by two T27 star bolts. Once the bracket is out of the way, and you’ve disconnected the two ends of the factory intake tube, and the vent hose, you can tip the tube down towards the back of the engine compartment and then pull it up and out. The amount of space made available is pretty impressive, and should help general access and with cooling. The silicone intake tube is a straightforward install. I got a 5 inch section of 1/2 inch hose to run from the vent on the valve cover to the tee on the silicone intake tube. I’ll post some pics this weekend.

I can’t say I notice much, if any difference in sound or performance yet, but again, getting that huge chunk of plastic out of the engine compartment can’t hurt. Seems like $30 well spent just for the improved access and to run cooler.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Some pics from my conversion yesterday.

Factory air intake tube:

Bolt on right side of factory intake:

Ball mount bracket and mounting point:

Engine compartment with silicone intake tube;

21 - 26 of 26 Posts