Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2016 smart fortwo for about three weeks now. Many great comments of how cute the car is or how the car looks fun etc... Maybe its my driving just above interstate and state road posted speed limits that get the unwanted aggression behind me (and has nothing to do with the car) but it seems that some drivers get real weirdly aggressive seeing the small car. Last week a guy driving down the left highway lane in a large pick-up truck came along side and then accelerated at a high rate with arms and hands flailing! Does anyone have some definite info on this? I had a bad day in traffic yesterday which may not have anything to do with the car but rather the pressing drivers in the highways at 5 pm rush hour in New Hampshire.:whew:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Get used to it. There are a lot of insecure drivers out there who have 'size issues'. :wink:
This is very, very true. I recently read an article that said something like "every green light becomes an impromptu drag race" which cannot be more true. I don't know what it is about the smart, but everyone drives faster around me, which I'm okay with!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Used to be that they would just about run you off the road trying to take a picture with their phone, now they just can't handle being behind you. Let em go! they will bring out the cops and get the ticket before you get there!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I love it when one 'of them' rides my bumper to try and pass and can't and we end up side by side at a stoplight. Sure they have more power and all that, but I have ED and I can win that first 100 feet or so and then back off.

Love the feeling and their clueless expressions. Huh, how did he do that kinda thing. One up man ship for the first burst. Yowsa! :wave:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I love it when one 'of them' rides my bumper to try and pass and can't and we end up side by side at a stoplight. Sure they have more power and all that, but I have ED and I can win that first 100 feet or so and then back off.

Love the feeling and their clueless expressions. Huh, how did he do that kinda thing. One up man ship for the first burst. Yowsa! :wave:
And we ALL remember BarneyO:

https://youtu.be/WUSOYo6IRsI

I "loved" my ride in frankie :p

Of course..........I didn't see any sky :D

·
17,476 Posts
Oh yeah, you should definitely get used to the aggression. I've been run off the road by more vehicles I can count...the weirdest of which was a tow truck that tried to put me into a guardrail. I've had people call me things you wouldn't call your mum, follow me home, chase me, etc etc etc. Off the road, my car gets paintballed once/twice every year, it got shot once, gets spat on regularly, and drivers in Chicago looooove bumping into the rear (bumper spikes solved that issue).

You'll get used to it after a while...most of them are all bark with no bite...and for everyone else I have a trusty dashcam tablet.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I also get this on the highway. If I pull into the left lane to pass someone and a pickup (nearly always, a pickup) is say 200 metres behind and had been at a steady speed, he (always a he) will boot it and try to get into a tailgating posture before I can complete the pass.

But, my 450 cdi is remapped so I briskly accelerate from the speed limit of (say) 90 to 120 during the pass and the pickup can't close the gap. I LOVE doing that. LOL. Once or twice I've even run it up to 150 to prove the point, and the gap to the pickup remains the same....which shows they're booting it.

Pass completed, I pull right and slow to the speed limit again.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,760 Posts
I "loved" my ride in frankie :p

Of course..........I didn't see any sky :D
But how 'bout that brown racing stripe in your wadded up drawers? :laughing:

Spring is here, take Frankie out of mothballs as we need to live vicariously through Barney's pocketbook! Where has the father of Frankensmart been, we need some go-fast updates!

Go Frankie, Go Frankie, . . . :burnout:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
But how 'bout that brown racing stripe in your wadded up drawers? :laughing:

Spring is here, take Frankie out of mothballs as we need to live vicariously through Barney's pocketbook! Where has the father of Frankensmart been, we need some go-fast updates!

Go Frankie, Go Frankie, . . . :burnout:
He's been busy with his new machine shop :eek:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yep.... the wonderful thing we like to call a "superiority complex". Their vehicle is bigger, thus they feel it is better in every way, shape, and form. Had two idiots on the highway today trying to show off exactly that. People were flashing their lights cause of a cop up ahead, so Mr. I Drive A Jacked Up Dodge Cummins Diesel and other Mr. I drive a pointlessly lowered Chevy silverado moved into the right lane. I stayed in the left lane doing about 65 in a 55, passing both of them slowly, as others around me were doing. As soon as we were out of sight of the cop, Mr Chevy (who was now about 40 feet behind me still in the right lane) decided to step on the gas..... and so did I once i saw that. Caught up to the two cars that were in front of him, and he couldn't pass. Think i pissed him off, too. Oh well. People drive like an ass, i'll treat them as such.

·
Mike700
94 Posts
I live in Chicagoland area and starting about a year ago expressway shootings have become a weekly happening. A lot of people are very angry today and responding to someone else's stupid or aggressive driving could end up in a deadly confrontation. My advice - just drive as you normally do and don't respond to stupid aggressive drivers.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,563 Posts
Not just in Chicago (my hometown), but in Jacksonville, Fl last weekend, two truckers got into a road rage incident. One drove into the other and then shot the driver through the windows of moving trucks. One 18 wheeler on the lamb, one dead driver from new Jersey.

People have gotten total crazy, no matter the vehicle size.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts