Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 Smart is having an issue with hinges on the driver's side door. It started out with the door being a little difficult to close, and has progressed to the point that it's impossible to close the door without aggressively lifting the door as it's closed. (Before we bought the car I made the dealer print a CarFax report, it said that the driver's door hinges had been replaced a couple of years ago.)

Anybody have suggestions on what the specific problem might be? I've read in other threads that a plastic bushing has been replaced on newer Smarts with a metal bushing, would that bushing cause this problem? Or is it more likely just a matter of adjusting and re-tightening bolts (and using LocTite so it doesn't happen again)?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think you diagnosed your concern with the door hinges. You will probably need to remove the outer door skin and retighten the hinge bolts using Loctite.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you diagnosed your concern with the door hinges. You will probably need to remove the outer door skin and retighten the hinge bolts using Loctite.
It was the front part of the top hinge, where it bolts to the frame. Just had to pull the fender out a bit to gain access (3 clips and 3 screws), then re-tighten the bolts (with LocTite). I wish all car problems were that easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts