Smart Car of America Forum banner

Drivers side window issue

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Miss Mercedes 
#1 ·
Driving on the freeway mostly with decent cross winds seems to make the drivers side window pull away from the weather strip at the top and cause a, worrying noise. Anyone else had this issue or should I call the service dept.

#2 ·
Wind Noise:

This falls under the catagory of NVH, noise, vibration, and harshness. Probably the negative pressure of the wind going by the side lights or windows is pulling the glass away from the door seal. I would see if your dealer can re-adjust the side window glass or door to fit tighter against the door seal.

#4 ·
My 2009 has wind noise on the drivers side window, I found the rubber weatherstrip has cracked on the upper rear corner of the window. Since I don't have a local dealer, I used some black duct tape to seal the crack, the noise went away.

Best bet is to visit the dealer and have it checked out.

#5 ·
Best case scenario, the dealer adjusts the doors so they close more tightly (my doors used to squeak on every bump and this solved it).

Worst case, the window is out of adjustment or the weatherstripping is bad.

An easy test: Close your doors (windows closed) and push on them at the handles repeatedly, if they move, they need adjustment :)

#6 ·
This phenomenon was/is also prevalent in many sports sedans -- even the Dodge Viper. The Gen II Viper's windows would pull open at the top, despite a plastic retaining clip, at around 150 MPH or so. Running fast into strong headwinds, I've had my Smart's windows both pull open at the top. I believe the more vertical the front windshield, the more this is an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.