Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we drive our two Smart electrics probably 95% of the time. Our 20 year old Mercedes diesel sits unused for sometimes a couple of months at a time. I have a trickle charger that is easy to hook up to the diesel, so I often just leave that in place. Getting a little pressure to replace the old diesel and get something newer. My answer is why bother since it sits unused for so long and I'll likely need to hook up the trickle charger to a new car too. Plus not using a car for long periods is not in the car's the best interest, so why not just let this old diesel take the heat. So is it likely that a new(er) ICE car will need to be on a trickle charger and long periods of sitting is not a preferred ownership method. Any of you in a similar situation to me and how do you handle it?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 11,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,107 Posts
So the long and short of this is Mom wants something "newer" to sit in the garage while the battery dies - well it is Mother's Day!!!

Yes, in our household with ED and Prius as our latest additions, battery management for the "road warrior" ICE vehicles has become a challenge. Without a trickle charger your Garage Queens will be dead when you need them.

Smart phone can be your friend as a simple "to do list" that rolls over monthly reminding you to start and charge?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think the E300 is fine (and that's not just thinking of my inheritance... :D ) as a road-trip car and otherwise sitting with very slow financial and mechanical depreciation while you drive the Smarts.

No car is going to "like" sitting for months at a time; with an old one, at least it's not costing you much and the safety, reliability, and known quantity of the E300 are appealing. It'd be a lot cheaper to replace the seat bottom, whatever the reason for the rear carpet cover is, and any other small interior issues, than to replace the whole car with a newer, more complex car that would also mostly just sit there.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,107 Posts
Side note, since we lost the Daimler "connectivity" I opted for the WiFi enabled Charge Point L2 charger and it sends me a text every night @ 9 p.m. reminding me to plug Sparky in . . .

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Your votes make it 4 to 1 to keep things the way they are. However, that one vote carries a lot of weight and holds serious veto power. :)

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 11,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My apologies for going a little off topic here, but you did ask. The ICE I'm talking about is my 1999 E300 Diesel. You can see in the photo below that the hood is up and the car is on the trickle charger. I'm also throwing up a photo of my 1959 Mercedes cabriolet that I owned for 20 years and sold just last year.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 11,500 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
omg i love the 1959....beautiful. the '99 is closer to what im looking for. i have been actually looking for a 2005 or 2006 cdi diesel, with low miles....which seems hard to find with diesels. the next yr 2007 they came out with blue tec diesel and with that problems. the older diesels were best. in '90 i owned a 1979 300D....great car. wish i still had it. i have a 1943 kubelwagen and a 1929 ford roadster . also my smart 2009. love em all.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
So we drive our two Smart electrics probably 95% of the time. Our 20 year old Mercedes diesel sits unused for sometimes a couple of months at a time. I have a trickle charger that is easy to hook up to the diesel, so I often just leave that in place. Getting a little pressure to replace the old diesel and get something newer. My answer is why bother since it sits unused for so long and I'll likely need to hook up the trickle charger to a new car too. Plus not using a car for long periods is not in the car's the best interest, so why not just let this old diesel take the heat. So is it likely that a new(er) ICE car will need to be on a trickle charger and long periods of sitting is not a preferred ownership method. Any of you in a similar situation to me and how do you handle it?
We are having a similar conversation in our household. I am looking at used 451 EDs to take advantage of the HOV lanes due to a temporary work situation which, if I go that direction, will render our E320 CDI relatively useless. The wife has been suggesting replacing it so she has something newer to drive when I use 'her' SUV, but the CDI is too good a car to let go.
omg i love the 1959....beautiful. the '99 is closer to what im looking for. i have been actually looking for a 2005 or 2006 cdi diesel, with low miles....which seems hard to find with diesels. the next yr 2007 they came out with blue tec diesel and with that problems. the older diesels were best. in '90 i owned a 1979 300D....great car. wish i still had it. i have a 1943 kubelwagen and a 1929 ford roadster . also my smart 2009. love em all.
Our 2006 is pushing 100k miles. Bought it new, and still love it...it has been a fantastic car...great torque, amazing range, flawless reliability.

We appreciate the classsic MBs as well...also have a 1969 280SL!

·
Registered
88 Posts
geez, you have all the cars i want to have in the garage i havent built. i forgot the motorcycle with the sidecar, od green, with notched stars adorning front, back and sides....waiting for general patton to return. but, my daily driver is my newest, the 2009 smart passion, twas a police car. 12000 miles when bot in feb19.....the plastic roof is there but a hard top over the top to keep the police lights well secured. all i got was the siren, but, they did not return the horn. smart car police car....reminds of of old vw beetle ads of the 60s.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know how you feel. I probably should trim our fleet down some too, we have my 2 smarts (1 gas 1 ed) our Prius Prime (28ish miles all electric) and my moms 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee (which is parked in driveway and barely gets used, but is on a battery tender.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
So logic says, the diesel will handle the idle time reasonably well. But if you're getting pressure to upgrade to something that isn't 20-years old, maybe looked at a used long range BEV of some kind? Bolts are coming off lease, and the 240v TurboCord that plugs into your air compressor's 240v outlet has dropped to $199. Then there's always the used Model S cars out there, if you want to go that route. I'm very pleased with my 124-mile rated (and it delivers it) Hyundai Ioniq. After rebate it was $21k, I bought it up in Maryland and drove it back to NC using mostly Electrify America charging stations along I-95.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
So logic says, the diesel will handle the idle time reasonably well. But if you're getting pressure to upgrade to something that isn't 20-years old, maybe looked at a used long range BEV of some kind? Bolts are coming off lease, and the 240v TurboCord that plugs into your air compressor's 240v outlet has dropped to $199. Then there's always the used Model S cars out there, if you want to go that route. I'm very pleased with my 124-mile rated (and it delivers it) Hyundai Ioniq. After rebate it was $21k, I bought it up in Maryland and drove it back to NC using mostly Electrify America charging stations along I-95.
I'll second the long range BEV idea. A warning though, once you experience Tesla torque and no transmission to get in the way, it's hard to go back. The sub $40K Model 3 could be an option if you want a new sedan and you like the minimalist design and the tech. Otherwise, an older Model S is a fine option. My dual motor Model 3 hasn't met an interstate entrance ramp that it didn't like. >:D

If you do go the EV route, think about an investment in solar. $5/month (minimum charge to have a meter) covers the energy needs of my house and two cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts