Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out if my 2013 ED actually has day time running lights. In the manual I downloaded, it indicates that is has this function. It gives directions on how to turn them off and on by doing a combination of button pushes but I can't seem to get them turned on. I feel like this little car could use the extra visibility so I turn on the headlights every time I get in to go anywhere.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a secret to turning on the DRLs that I'm missing or is it not available at all?

·
Registered
729 Posts
On my '13 I.C.E. Smart, the DRLs are LEDs located where the fog lights would be. They are activated with the headlight switch. If I have it in off or auto (auto headlights) the DRLs are on anytime the headlights are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Send me your VIN and your e-mail address and I'll run your data card for you. Maybe there are other options you are not aware of.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
38 Posts
In Canada, the DRL's are mandatory and cannot be shut off until the headlights are turned on. Which is sad because I wish they'd stay on all the time. I've had a few close calls and think that the smart is just too short for people to notice sometimes.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been thinking the same thing about the DRL height. I don't have the DRLs so I just turn on my headlights all the time. I hate consuming the extra power but I just think it needs the visibility. I found out from the Smart Center this week that the EDs that don't have DRLs already have the wire harness in place for them. I'm considering trying to find the harness and wire up some but I'd like to find a higher point to install them. I haven't figured that part out yet but I'm working on it. Thought about installing something in the grill like the Jeep guys are doing.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
While the wiring harness may be there, if your car didn't leave the factory with DRLs, the computer will have to be reprogrammed after the DRLs are installed - at a significant charge. My choice was to buy a nice set of aftermarket LED DRLs, install them and wire them up to a spot on the side of the fuse block that is live whenever the car is operating. That way your DRLs will always be on and the out-of-pocket cost is less than $50.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have considered doing the same thing just so they'll stay on at night. It's such a small vehicle that I wouldn't think running the wires would be that bad.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Chris, I too took the cheap route in the beginning and bought LED DRL's and wired them to it's own switch and to one of the add on power terminals that is powered only when the key is on and I just leave them on most of the time. I also bought cheap cheap fog lights that were small enough to fit on the space left over. I powered them from the same terminal on the Sam (fusebox).

I don't know if the electric versions have the same fuse box configuration or not because I've never seen an electric one in person.

But if the fuse boxes are the same that will give you an idea where the terminals are I'm talking about. I elected to use a circuit breaker but you can use a fuse if you like. One blade of the fuse pushes into the fuse box and the other blade hangs out over the side of the box. And that blade will accept a regular spade connector.

There's no need for those fancy little plastic adapters shown in the picture of the fuse box (SAM).

But in saying that I found a great deal the other day on ebay on COB LED fog lights with the driving light halo built in around it. I opted for the yellow COB which is 3000K and I wanted a funky color for the DRL halo so I ordered mine with a green halo. I just got them the other day and haven't gotten then installed yet. They have other colors too. The little panel in your front valance just snaps out and I used it to mount my stuff. Now if you look back inside the little hole you open up when you pop out the panel, there is a mount made for the original fog lamps that mount them to the actual front frame of the car. But mine are only mounted to the snap in panel and I've had no problems with them in over a year. DCO

Pair COB 3 5" 30W Yellow Fog Light Lamp Projector Lens with Green Angel Eye Kit | eBay

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
If you opt for the factory fog lights you not only have to have them activated at the dealer, but you also have to buy a new button bank that has the fog light switch in it. So it gets a little pricey.
As far as the DRL's go I seem to remember a post a while back that there is a procedure to change when the DRL"s were on. JWIGHT posted the procedure so I'm sure he could help with that. I can't remember the particular procedure or find the post. Gee it sucks to get old. Some days I'm lucky to find my way home. lol. We are so lucky to have JWIGHT on this forum and he should be commended for all his help to all of us ! Thank you Mr.Wight ! DCO

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
If you opt for the factory fog lights you not only have to have them activated at the dealer, but you also have to buy a new button bank that has the fog light switch in it. So it gets a little pricey.
The existing button bank can be modded, believe that the instructions are out on the Evolution (subscription) website.

Yes, JW of The Mod Squad is legend . . .

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is the grill on my Smart. I don't know how to speak the correct language but it appears as though some have like a 3 piece grill while others have this one piece. I have seen all sorts of LED units that seem to be meant for the 3 piece kind of grills. Has anyone installed those after market units on a smart with a one piece like this?

I have also seen a big unit that is meant to replace that entire lower grill piece but I'm not looking to spend that much on this.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The one piece lower grille was a mod change in I believe 2015 or 2016. The 3 piece was from the earlier models.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts