Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like the USA smart car does not have the daytime running lights feature of the Canadian version. I for one would like to have them; there must be some way to enable the feature on our cars (computer reprogram or wiring mod?) Any thoughts or info on this? :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I re-played the San Jose video, and if those were true US 451s, they didn't have DRLs. It should be fairly straight-forward to retrofit the Canadian circuitry.

An alternative could be this: http://www.automotiveelectronicaccessories.com/aeapn480hd.htm . It is happy to note that it doesn't involve the ECU, just tapping into the wiring.
Actually, this may be a better alternative as it is readily available; Canadian components from smartville may be much harder to come-by.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great find Fish! You guys are so smart (no pun intended)

My MINI cooper didn't have DRLs but when it came in for delivery, the Dealer rep asked me if I wanted them.... I of course said YES! and he said they could just program it into the car's computer, which they did and Voilà. I have them. This got me a discount on the insurance as a safety feature.

·
Registered
834 Posts
On some cars DRL's are programmable by the dealer. I am not sure whether it is through the ECU or OBC. We may be lucky and just have to have someone program them on.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Typically these cars have several computers> From my reading the Smart is similar to most variations

Engine and power train management is usually in one black box. Anti lock brakes in another... not sure if this version will also have the stability control in that box too but I suspect so because part of the logic in increasing or decreasing brake application independtly...OTOH maybe it is all in the ECU... I am still researching..I say this because the way to defeat the stability program (also kills anti lock brakes) is by shorting to ground one pin in the OBDII connector. In my experience the OBDII connector typically only has lines to and from the ECU

Many other electronically controlled things like alarms, starter interlock, door locks, speed sensitive sound level, and courtesy lighting are in a separate "electronics module" (on my Ford it is a GEM) I don't remember the term Evilution used, but the Smarts have one of these...

It is likely the 451 already is DRL "ready"... we may need extra hardware (circuit board, relay, etc) or just a simple combination of button pushes with the key in a certain position....

What ever will be needed to enable DRLs, I am sure will be relatively simple or inexpensive

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why not just cover the light sensor so it thinks its night all the time. Worked great on my Dodge van and Chevy truck. In 179000 miles on my Dodge I burnt out only two headlamps. All lights run all the time

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I think the insurance companies will look for something a bit more professional if you are looking for safety feature credits. With USAA, DRLs are right up there with side air bags and stability control.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The Canadian's have been modifying their DLR on the 450 for a while. I'd hope the 451 is using the low beam at 60% or so for DRL. We also have different bulb configurations than the Canadian cars. There might be some info soon at clubsmart.ca

Below is US spec headlight. The Euro cars didn't have the amber inserts or the amber running light up front.

Anyone know which lamp is turned on for DRL, one of the three here, or the fog lamps below the bumper?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I purchased a new Jeep this year which did not come with operating DRL, they are required in Canada. However, you can use StarScan to turn them on. I would assume that the SMART will have a simliar option as it is all in the electronics and one controler for the car would be cheaper to make then one for each country.

·
Super Moderator
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would hope so; as pointed out earlier that's how BMW does it with the new MINI.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Enabling DRL's on the 2008 US Smart?

It needs to be enabled in the firmware first - this can be done in your Smart Center.
After that, you can dis-/enable it yourself by pulling back the highbeam switch and simultaneously pressing the open/lock buttons on the remote control
From reading other posts it seems that the dealer can enable daytime running lights on the US 2008 smart. I spoke with my dealer and he not sure about it, but will check on it.:confused:
While I'm waiting for his response, has anyone talked to their dealer about enabling the daytime running lights?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, I talked to the dealership in Bloomfield, and was told that it wasn't covered in the training but they would try to look into it. I've also heard the remark from several sources at dealerships that most of the people who are very active on the forums currently know more than the official workers still at this point.

·
Super Moderator
29,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wiring diagram?

FWIW, webelectrics.com has a universal DRL module that may work. The guy who runs it needs a wiring diagram to review if anybody can get one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has any of you that just received your Smarts recently asked about activating DRL (daylight running lights) for your car?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not yet

Has any of you that just received your Smarts recently asked about activating DRL (daylight running lights) for your car?
I asked and so far the word is no. I will continue to pursue this for both the safety aspect and the insurance premium reduction USAA offers for DRLs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Though I don't get an insurance break, I've been driving for the last 40 years with my headlights on. Seems like a simple solution instead of all this discussion of trying to make the lights come on in a different way.

And before people say "The lights wear out faster that way," I'll just say that I change a headlight bulb about once every 4 years of so.

One of the issues I have with DRL's is that one often sees drivers with their headlights not on at night, but they think they're on because they're getting illumination from the DRLs.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Acutally I think all smarts have the same lighting fixture, the only difference between CDN/USA versions would be the orange reflector and an orange running light instead of the white "city lights".

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The lady in Canada that posted pictures of her new Yellow smart fortwo had the exact same head light assy as the one above on the Blue car spdickey posted

If headlights on for safety is your primary issue...use the switch

If you want or need the added reduction in insurance premium then you need a factory or aftermarket device

I am of the same opinion as Dave777.... many times I see a lot of cars who think their headlights are on at dark when they are not fully on... they think they are on because the dash and radio illumination comes on with the DLR feature....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts