Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a chance for a short test drive in a used smart. It's an '08 all black passion with some options. Supposedly around $18k new. It was a trade in at local dealer. Previous owner needed a bigger car for family so the story goes. 59k miles.

This dealer is willing to sell for $10k. What do you think of this price? They seem motivated to get this off the lot as they are not a smart dealer. Car seems very clean, tight, quiet. The motor started and ran well. It did seem to idle a little rough but not sure if that is just a function of the 3 cylinder. So what do you think? Anything I need to check on an '08. Clutch issues? I've read this mileage seems to be when they show up. Is there a way to check if the software updates have been done? Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
28,284 Posts
Either take the car or the VIN to the nearest smart center - they can check for software updates - at least a couple for an 08. Would probably be worth having them check the whole car over. Just my opinion but unless the car is fully loaded (or a Cabrio) it was not sold new for anywhere near $18K; with the mileage I'd say they're asking too much. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Love to help you out. I'm in PG County Maryland and could teach you about the Smart and some of its characteristics in person. I paid $10k for my 09 Passion with every option and 6k mileage from a Smart Center.

As for the software update, if it has paddles then hit the down arrow when in Drive. It is works and shows 1 on the tach then it has the 2.0 software.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would say that the price is way too high. For $15k you can get a brand new with some options and that will have the warranty and no miles on it. I would think that $7500 is a fair price for that car. As for the rough idle I would get something in writing from the seller that they will repair if needed. I have 41k miles and my engine has never idled roughly. Good luck. Let the fun begin

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To see if the software updates have been done, you will have to re-visit the vehicle. While in drive, move the left side paddle and the shift indicator in the instrument cluster should change from D to 1. This is the 2.0 upgrade.

If this vehicle sold for around $18k new and is a passion coupe, it should have just about every accessory available on it. The dealer asking price of around $10k isn't bad but I would try and get it down a bit more since it is a high mileage vehicle. Check out cars.com and Edmonds.com for comparable prices. You can also check out Kelly Blue Book for current prices.

Good luck.

·
Registered
963 Posts
10k is robbery for that many miles . When I shopped my 5K mint Brabus , no dealer was over 10k on trade , most were around 9 . That gives you an idea what the dealer paid for that car . I agree with Padi $7500 tops and even that might be very generous .

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The asking price was $12.5 I got them down to $10k pretty easy. Edmunds says about $8.5k is typical for this car. KBB is normally so far off the mark on anything I don't even bother with them. Most of the ones on CL here are in the same ballpark. Dealer has a 3k mile or 90 day warranty on this car used. I'm not sure on the options on these things. It does have the gauge pods, PW and PL and a high end touch screen pioneer head unit. I think leather seats.
This was for the most parts just a stop and drive for me. The mileage seems high for these cars for 3 years compared to what I see here. PO supposedly was his only car and 20k a year here is easy. I'm north west of Balti and many commute to DC. I used to. 100 miles round trip. The clutch on my old commuter beater went out today so I may stop by and see if they really want to sell that car this weekend. Only if the deal is sweet. I've spoken to a dealer in germantown (not too far away) and they seem helpful and knowledgable. might see what they have as well. Thanks for the info folks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can find a Smart with a lot lower miles for about the same price, look on autotrader, I think they are asking to mush as well!! Good Luck to ya

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
With the heated leather seats, my 08 started at 15500, plus extended warranty - which in your case you wouldn't have. NADA shows it's worth about 10k now with 23k miles. If you have an upgraded audio system, then it may be worth more to you. I'd say 9-10k is normal for base, and beyond that it's what the buyer is willing to pay for anything special about that particular car. 59k is higher than average mileage, but those are long-trip miles, so you won't have as much carbon buildup as mine probably does in the same amount of time. Check the brakes, tires and fluids for big maintenance items. At 60k miles, you're probably looking at $300-400 in maintenance (plugs, valve check) within a few months; build that into the price of the car and you won't feel so bad about it.

This is your next maintenance cycle, unless the PO did the work early:
smart USA Owners Portal - 60,000 Miles/Six Year

P.S. The 2008 year's 3-cylinder engine does idle rough by its nature. It normally jumps from 920-950 RPM but if you turn on the AC at fan speed 2, it increases to 1050 RPM and smooths out a little bit.

·
17,360 Posts
It Blue Books for that price IF it had low miles...With that many it's easily a sub $10k car...

As I'm recently discovering, there are TONS of low mileage >$10k smarts out there...Pick your flavor and enjoy...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
$7.5-8K, unfortunately there are plenty for sale. I'd be looking to shell out just a little extra money for a low-mileage example (usually not that much more money).

·
17,360 Posts
CarMax alone has 95...Unfortunately CarMax jacks up the price of a used smart by $1-2k.

I found a stripped down high mileage passion sold by CarMax for $10.9k...Strangely enough a Toyota dealer 45mi away is selling a fully loaded low mileage BRABUS (more expensive on sticker) for $10.7k

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
CarMax alone has 95...Unfortunately CarMax jacks up the price of a used smart by $1-2k.

I found a stripped down high mileage passion sold by CarMax for $10.9k...Strangely enough a Toyota dealer 45mi away is selling a fully loaded low mileage BRABUS (more expensive on sticker) for $10.7k
that sounds like a pretty good deal and you WOULD be stylin':wink: I think in a year or two there are going to be some GREAT buys on smarts...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts