Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, Feel so fortunate to have found this site and group.
I drove a private parties 2099 Fortwo passion coupe yesterday and I am impressed. There are many Smart cars listed in this city and most are at dealers. My first car was a 1951 Ford and 2nd was a 57 Chevy. Tells you I have a few years on me.
I noticed that all the Smart Cars for sale here in Mpls are 2008 and 2009.
Every one of them. What happened to the 2010 and 2011?

Another question is mileage and most have well under the 66,000 I saw yesterday. Is that a lot of miles? Does the Smart car engine have a point where it needs overhauled, rebuilt or is it that people do not put so many miles on them?

Thanks for the welcome!

Cheers,

Tom28

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Welcome back from the future. The 2008 and up until this year had 2 year, 24K mile warranties. The 2012 and newer have 4 year, 48K warranties. A lot of people traded up for a new one to get the longer warranty. Service at Mercedes can be pricey. If you are a DIY then it isn't as big a problem. There might be other reasons and some one else will most likely chime in.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There has been a lack of a local dealer for 2 years now and that has pretty much tanked the sales of smart cars for 2010,2011 and 2012. Closest dealers are in Wisconsin and Nebraska. Both excellent dealers and will go out of their way to help out. Word is that we will get a dealer in the spring, facility is being built in Rochester.

I have had mine since may 2009 and had a 2008 before that. My current one has 88,00 plus miles and I am still driving it. I drive from Red Wing to Rochester every day. Snow tires do help once we got some snow, but they handle good in the snow, as long as it isn't deeper than the car's grille.

Most people don't put that many miles on them so they are still a bit new, but being a Mitsubishi motor, I suspect they will do just fine. There are a few cars that have had problems but compared to how many were sold nationwide, it is a small minority. Most cars you never hear about because they work just fine.

P.S. I assume the 2099 is a typo....

·
Registered
229 Posts
My ´09 cabrio is a great little car and I wish I could recommend owning one. The lack of dealer and brand support in Minnesota is appalling.

There have been a number of promises that a new dealer will be established, but thus far every promise has not come to pass. I have stopped holding my breath and just came to the realization that if there is a mechanical issue, I need to turn the wrenches myself.

Electronics issues worry me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, that's where the back to the future came from.. Too funny...yes, a 2009 it was.
Really appreciate the posts.. Won't be long and a Smart Car will be living in Lakeville.
The owner of the 2009 said she found a place to do the oil change for $60. as the Mercedes dealer wanted $200. I will likely want to do my own work as I learn what the differences are.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
$60 for an oil change is probably about right by the time you get the oil and filter, and add labor. Not hard to do yourself but those raid oil change places are pretty convienent and you don't have to mess with the oil afterwards.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ah, that's where the back to the future came from.. Too funny...yes, a 2009 it was.
Really appreciate the posts.. Won't be long and a Smart Car will be living in Lakeville.
The owner of the 2009 said she found a place to do the oil change for $60. as the Mercedes dealer wanted $200. I will likely want to do my own work as I learn what the differences are.
Cheers
I hope your new car treats you well! $60 per oil change seems cheap. I just changed my oil this weekend and spent nearly that and I did the labor myself.

When I called the local Mercedes dealer they told me they do not work on smarts.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
At least you have a local dealer... Here in town we have 2 dealers, a Chevy Dealer and a Chrysler/Ford dealer. BOTH owned by the same guy!! The main reason I got a smart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2008 Smart Fortwo Cabriolet

They have one here at the Fiat dealer for 7K and it has 77,000 miles on it.
Can someone direct me to where I can see the manual and know what needed to be done at each maintenance interval?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
They have one here at the Fiat dealer for 7K and it has 77,000 miles on it.
Can someone direct me to where I can see the manual and know what needed to be done at each maintenance interval?

At left, under Site Navigation>Helpful Links>online Owner's Manuals. It's a smartUSA site where you can select model and year. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts