Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use my dryer often, and wanted to use the my dryer plug to plug in a portable Clipper Creek LCS-25p L6-30.

I was planning to buy a 10-30 to L6-30 Adapter cable (10-30 to L6-30 Adapter - For charging on most dryer outlets [A10330] - $29.95 : EVSE Upgrade, Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions).

I was wondering since the NEMA 10-30 does not have a ground, what likelihood of risks would I be facing with respect to my house and the car itself?

Also, what risks would I face by unplugging my dryer an plugging in this portable charger every two weeks? (I heard it could be bad, but wasn't able to find any specifics)

Lastly, if using the converter is a bad idea, is there any way to mod it or buy a different type of cable to make it safe? I was hoping I didn't have to get a completely new outlet done.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I don't see the danger of unplugging your dryer every two weeks. There is nothing in there sensitive to the needs of electricity.

I don't know about the lack of a ground. I'd ask an electrician.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Both the 10-30 and L6-30 have a ground, but no neutral. They are electrically identical, just mechanically different. So anything designed to plug into L6-30 will work fine with the adapter to 10-30.

Insteadof the adapter cable, you could also just buy the 10-30 plug for $10 and replace the L6-30 that comes with the Clipper Creek. Saves a few $ and makes the install a bit neater.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Also, what risks would I face by unplugging my dryer an plugging in this portable charger every two weeks? (I heard it could be bad, but wasn't able to find any specifics)
The only bad thing I can think of is unplugging the dryer while it's running. That could cause an arc and wear the plug/socket a bit quicker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts