Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
17,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some time ago I was reading here about people in salt laying states replacing their factory exhausts because of bad flex pipes. When I was building my custom motor mount, I decided to take a peek to make sure mine was still there. Whew, it was.

But today, it just dawned on me that the flex pipe I was looking at wasn't the flex pipe I thought it was!!!! :D

Here's what the flex looked like when I first installed it:

Now wait a minute, mine no longer has the braided steel. Mine just has some corrugated metal where the braided metal used to be. There are no leaks and it appears to be in decent condition...but where did the braided steel go?

Furthermore, is a repair needed?

·
17,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Bingo, this is exactly what I'm looking at here. Pipe sans braided flex.

·
17,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whew, I was worried I'd have to buy another exhaust entirely! Two years of salt and sand was quick to get rid of that thing!

When I first saw it, I thought "Hmmm, I must have an upgraded flex pipe" and immediately disregarded it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I have the same issue with my custom exhaust. After being on the car for 80K miles, the outer braid has worn off. I did buy a new flex pipe, I just haven't installed it yet. No leaks either...

Once the weather finally decides to play nice, and I can drive my truck all the time, I'll tear into the smart and replace that & all the motor mounts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts