Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I remember reading a post on this forum somewhere that it is a good idea to do the two button push when you are about to complete runs on a dyno. I have a few questions about that.

When I go on a dyno, should I do the two button push before the runs? Will this do anything?

Why is disabling the ESP system called dyno mode in cars and stated on other forums?

Will the two button push show any difference on a dyno chart when the car is ran twice? One time ESP enabled, one time disabled?

The reason I am asking these questions is that I am going to put my car up on a dyno in front of over a thousand people on October third and I want to make sure my car doesn't show any performance differences or behave differently if you do the two button push or not.

Thank you guys and have a great day!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just read this on another forum.
It disables ESP, ABS, BAS, and I think torque management. It's designed to allow the car to be run to its fullest potential on a dyno. To prevent the car from sensing a wheel speed difference (front to rear) which would normally put the car into limp mode, it feeds the rear-wheel speed sensor data to the front wheel sensors.

While it can be used on the road (and makes your car about as safe as a 70's muscle car , one of the problems with this mode in normal driving is that the vehicle dynamics (yaw) sensor doesn't get disabled, nor does the steering wheel angle sensor. This makes the car very susceptible to going into limp mode during a hard turn such as a u-turn: the steering wheel sensor and the dynamics sensor both say the car is turning sharply but the wheel speed sensors all tell the PCM that the car is moving in a straight line. This confuses the PCM and can trip limp mode.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Brett, If you don't disable it, you can kiss your rear brakes goodbye on the dyno!! Plus your results on the dyno will be poor.:eek:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So paul, since the smart car detects wheel slip, it will sense on a dyno that the rear two wheels are slipping and apply the rear brakes, right?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like the same thing as pulling fuse 11. No traction control, nor ABS, nor ESP
Wish they all had individual fuses.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. The two button push is the equivalent of pulling fuse 11 supposedly. It does everything pulling the fuse does but without having to physically pull the fuse.

I'm sure you saw the instructional video on the disabling ESP thread right and read about it?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nice to see it done on a USA car because I sat for about 15 minutes doing this and I couldn't get it to go in... Looks like I'll have to try again! Thanks Brett

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well, its the same as pulling Fuse 11 (loose traction control, stability, ABS and creep mode) So I've spent a little time with Fuse 11 missing, can be a good time in the snow :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts