Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know whether the early 2015 (451 version) Smart Electric has any changes from the 2014 version or is it just a carry over model?

I see nearly every dealer has 2015 gas models, but nobody has 2015 (451) electric. (I'm not talking about the 453 which I'm told comes at the end of 2015)

I'm wondering if they've tweaked the 2015 (451...which is said to carry over for a couple of years, i.e. 453 electric will be delayed). With the Mercedes B-Class ED coming to market this month and incentives on 2014 Electrics, it makes me wonder if there are modifications coming.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Does anybody know whether the early 2015 (451 version) Smart Electric has any changes from the 2014 version or is it just a carry over model?

I see nearly every dealer has 2015 gas models, but nobody has 2015 (451) electric. (I'm not talking about the 453 which I'm told comes at the end of 2015)

With the Mercedes B-Class ED coming to market this month and incentives on 2014 Electrics, it makes me wonder if there are modifications coming.
It is my understanding that cabrios will be in short supply and while software updates may be added, few material changes will be made to the 2015 ED 451. The ALL NEW 453 ED is still a year or more away.

Priority inventory allocations will continue to go to the CARB (AZ, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA and DC) states with primarily firm customer orders going to others. Non-CARB states will not see much 451 ED inventory if any.

The M-B $42,000+ B-Class ED and $25,750 smart ED are very much apples to oranges both in form, fit and COST!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It's a complete new/redesigned unit, and I understand that there will be a 4-door version available. I'll post some photos or links as soon as I can...

You can check out a video of it here
This is the 2015 Smart car: Is it ridiculous? - SlashGear

I'm confused...

The first picture you posted is of the '2016' Smart 453 that we will likely see in late 2015 - not the early 2015 Smart 451 the OP is referring to.

The second picture is of a standard ICE (gas) Smart. No ED pictures of the 453 are available yet, even though any changes will likely be minor.

The third picture you posted is of the first ForFour, which was basically a Mitsubishi Colt, produced from 2004-2006. The new ForFour is identical to the new ForTwo, just stretched obviously.

It's also apparent that America will not be seeing the new ForFour, unfortunately. Just like we didn't get the first one, the Roadster or even a true Turbo Brabus.

Just wanted to clear some stuff up to alleviate confusion.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trooplewis, that's the 2016 (453 model) Smart. The way they're marketing the 2016 Smart, it seems electric is a 2017 thing for the states. I know jwright wrote something to that effect in another thread...but that's not really the car I'm concerned about at the moment.

MB DNA, I'm just trying to figure out why the dealer is knocking off $40/month to the advertised lease rates for the 2014s. Are they just moving the inventory or is there something new about the 2015 (451 model) Smart ED?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Just to be clear.

There is no difference between the 2014 ED and the 2015 ED.

The 453 will come to the states (eventually), but the ED version of the 453 will be 1(or 2 or 3) years behind the intro of the 453 ICE.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, my apologies. They will be coming out in summer of 2015 as 2016 models, at least that is my understanding at this point.

·
Registered
515 Posts
regarding the next electric smart.....its not coming for several years....

regarding options look for some other new standard options for 2015..but no changes

·
Registered
17 Posts
I asked Smart's official Instagram account, and they replied by saying "yes, the ForFour is expected to come to canada".

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I asked Smart's official Instagram account, and they replied by saying "yes, the ForFour is expected to come to canada".
They should just line up every Smart owner at every Mercedes dealership, and have the biggest mechanic come out to punch us all really hard in the mouth just once. That would be better than denying us the ForFour over and over.

Do I smell an imported car in my future?!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
451 Smart ED

regarding options look for some other new standard options for 2015..but no changes
Do you know what the new standard options for 2015 451 Smart ED will be?

Or are there new standard options for the 2015 451 gas thus assumed it'll carry over to the 451 electric?

Just to be clear.

There is no difference between the 2014 ED and the 2015 ED.
Ok, thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
no mods for 2015 ED, only color options. Placed order for 2015 last month, will take till December to get this car but it will have nicer interior tan, 3 spoke st. wheel with regen switches & basic roof. Wish one could order ED w/o pwr. steering, el. windows and el. mirrors & w/o that cheap CD radio, like on my 2011 Pure model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm trying to order a 2015 in Illinois and haven't been able to yet. Any I dea why Co can order now? I'm tempted to go back to the dealer where I picked up my '08 passion, but they are in Boston and that's 1,000mi and not really practical.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm trying to order a 2015 in Illinois and haven't been able to yet. Any I dea why Co can order now? I'm tempted to go back to the dealer where I picked up my '08 passion, but they are in Boston and that's 1,000mi and not really practical.
Your dealer probably doesn't have any allocations at the moment. They're only allowed to order so many cars, and when that number has been exhausted, they have to wait until they're given more (usually dependent on how many cars they sell).

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Most, if not all, of the EDs are being funneled to the CARB states. Can your dealer order one - maybe, if they have filled all the squares to carry the ED. Can they get you a car in a reasonable time frame - unknown, as the EDs seem to be just a rumor in non-CARB states. If you really want one, best bet is to try a California dealer - apparently they are all over the lots there. Once you get one home, you're on your own. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Having just gone through a search for a new ICE fortwo, I can tell you that the northeast/mid-Atlantic dealers have tons of them. In fact, my search for an ICE cabriolet only lead to a few between Maryland and Massachusetts, but most dealers in the same region had dozens of EDs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts