Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We like driving the car so much that in one week we drove it a little over 400 miles. In my ICE cars, I actively avoid putting miles on them. Say we continue that rate, though unlikely, we will run out of miles in about 22 months.

Reading my lease paperwork, we could return the "glider" early, pay the remaining payments and vehicle return fee at any time we like.

If we do that when we approach our mileage limit (36k miles) in 22 months, could we then avoid paying the remaining 14 months of Battery Assurance Plus (BAP) ~$80+tax/mo. Saving around $1,200.

From what I read, our agreement for BAP is a month to month rental and is separate from the glider lease. I can then lease another ED and get another GA state tax rebate, if they still have it in 2 yrs.

What do you think?

·
Registered
271 Posts
It could be a good deal if those same terms are available in 22 months. You didn't mention your monthly lease payment. Mine is $64 per month so If I did that at 22 months my glider lease would have cost me 105 per month for those 22 months.

I am not anywhere near going over my miles but if I were in your shoes the other alternative would be to look at your purchase option vs the used glider market vs the option of getting another car on the same terms.
Food for thought.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You need to call Mercedes Benz Financial Services and ask them that question. Last time I talked to them, they didn't have a good answer, but I think by now they may have it figured out.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
In my ICE cars, I actively avoid putting miles on them.

Reading my lease paperwork, we could return the "glider" early, pay the remaining payments and vehicle return fee at any time we like.

What do you think?
"Actively avoid putting miles on them" - by walking or driving in reverse, I'm confused? :confused:

Your plan to cap the miles by turning in the 36k mile "glider," in the (estimated) 22nd month, paying the remaining 14 months of lease in full and cancelling the remaining month to month BAP rental certainly seems viable?

You know the lease language but this may be a challenge to the Finance Department? Hopefully they don't prorate the turn end "lease end" mileage at 59,000 miles (36,000 miles/22 months multiplied by 36 or full term) but I don't think they can charge you for something that is not on the odometer?

Once again may be one where YMMV - do let us know the outcome?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Actively avoid putting miles on them" - by walking or driving in reverse, I'm confused? :confused:
By not going on trips when we don't really need to. Like not taking our dog to the dog park and instead walking around the block. It would normally be around 5 miles each way. In my SUV that 10 miles would be nearly 1 gallon so about $3.20 in gas.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Just wondering if OP ran into any issues with the early turn-in?
If you live in CA, any EV lease that is returned prior to 30 months will mean *at minimum* you may be charged a prorated amount of your $2,500 rebate or even the entire $2,500 rebate. The state may garnish wages, bank account, etc,.

You will have to make the remainder of your glider payments, but the battery payments will be passed on to the dealership you return the vehicle to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The glider was a single pay lease, so that's free and clear.
Family is not comfortable driving this after the first accident.

It's just the state rebate I need to think about then

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
If you live in CA, any EV lease that is returned prior to 30 months will mean *at minimum* you may be charged a prorated amount of your $2,500 rebate or even the entire $2,500 rebate. The state may garnish wages, bank account, etc,.

You will have to make the remainder of your glider payments, but the battery payments will be passed on to the dealership you return the vehicle to.
I saw this requirement before, but recently took a look at the rebate site to check for my wife what the penalty was, and could not find it! This is for a purchased plug-in-hybrid though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts