Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no particularly technically ept, and my wife wanted a serious Sirius install. I lucked out - I was able to run the wires basically all out of sight - a clean, well functioning install. Here are the basics for Sirius Sportster 5 - pics below for reference. Oh yeah, one audio suggestion - make sure you turn the audio voume up to 100% on the Sirius radio - it boosts the signal to noise and reduces drastically on any hiss in the Smartcar radio.

1. Antenna - placed inside the car, on the dash, far left - make sure iutis fr enough back (ie on the cloth, not on the plastic of the dash) so that the windshiled stickers don;t block the "view". run wire to the left, down the seam, under the dash. invisible! and no duct tape!

2. audio - drill a hole in the back left bottom of the glovebox, just big enough to run an audio cable. use a right angle adaptor and plug it into the audio socket on the glove box, attach your cable, and run it under the dash to the sportster

3. Sportster install - ahhhh - use the suction cup thats for the windshield mount, and instead mount it un the horizontal plastic that runs under the dash just to the right of the cig ligher. the suction cup just fits - tight grip - has not fallen yet!.

4. power - plug in power adaptor to cig lighter - only visible wire

see pics below - hope this helps someone!

Djinn :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mount comes with the Sirius Sportster 5 - its the windshield suction mount, but it fits perfectly on the plastic under the dash too!

Djinn

·
Registered
9 Posts
sirius antennae..

For those skeptics, I have my Sirius Antennae mounted like this and have no problems with reception. I also Mounted my GPS antennae between my gauge pods and it works just as well....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put my GPS antenna and my xm radio antenna under the plastic cover behind the two guage pods atop the air conditioning unit - totally out of view and great reception too...

·
Super Moderator
29,152 Posts
Excellent work, but I'm still basically opposed to putting anything (sat nav, sat radio, cell phone, Scan Gauge, etc) down that low. Takes the driver's eyes off the road and puts him/her head down in the cockpit. That's why airplanes and cars have HUDs. Luckily, I only listen to one XM channel so I can toss it in the glove box and leave it alone. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an opportunity to install a Sirius Radio for someone soon. I'm really excited about it. I will be driving 3 hours each way just to do this. I'm going to be taking some pretty thorough pictures of the install and everything and will post here and on my website.

It's for one of the personalities moms who has a Smart Car. I'm such a huge Smart Car fan, and just a fan of small cars in general. I'm considering contacting Panavise to see if they can make a custom mount for it. But they are in Reno, NV and need a car to borrow to develop it.

So, hopefully I will be doing this in a few weeks and will post about it here.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I have my antenna on the dash in between the gauge pods.

I'm thinking about getting the Sportster 5. Lot more appealing to the eye than the XACT I currently have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice work. I took a similar approach with a few differences:

1. The suction cup won't stay for long. I drilled two holes through the mount and used toggle bolts into the plastic.

2. I used two sided industrial tape (meant for body parts) to mount the antenna on the roof in the back and ran the wire under the molding/plastic trim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have my antenna on the dash in between the gauge pods.

I'm thinking about getting the Sportster 5. Lot more appealing to the eye than the XACT I currently have.

The Sportster 5 looks a lot better, it's just the wireless FM Transmitter isn't as strong as the one in the old Xact unit you have, so you'll likely have to hardwire the audio portion for better sound quality.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sirius radio installation

I recently installed a Sirius radio. It is entirely in the glove box and is controlled by an RF remote. The three necessary cables are run through the existing hole for the aux audio, which pushes out by simply compressing one or two of the little locking tabs that surround the plug.

The critical aspect of the installation is the radio itself. I used a Sirius "Conductor," which can be obtained new on eBay for around $80. List is $150 through Sirius. It consists of a small box with standard Sirius connections including one for digital output, which you won't use, as well as RCA stereo. The radio is controlled by an RF remote that transmits though just about anything, so you could put radio anywhere and it would see the remote.

As for power, add a simple lighter plug with a connection to one of the always-hot open fuse connections. These are covered elsewhere in the forum under "add additional power plug." The reason you want always-hot is because you turn the radio on and off with the wireless remote. While it will retain its memory if the power is shut off, it has to reinitialize when power comes back, which takes some time. Also, you probably don't want it left on all the time since it draws 380 ma, which would run down the batter after a few days. So you just use the remote to shut it off.

As for the antenna, I didn't use the all-weather antenna that comes with the unit, but rather a standard magnet-mount antenna that comes with regular car Sirius radios or can be bought separately. (The same goes with the 12v to 5v lighter plug. The Conductor comes with a wall-wart 5v supply.) Using information from another thread (XM radio antenna installation) I installed the magnet antenna on the metal ledge just under the upper front overhead molding. Remove six Torx screws including those for the visors, push the whole thing forward to disengage the 4 tabs at the front from the metal frame. The entire molding drops, including the dome light. The right A-pillar plastic molding is easily removed by removing a single Torx screw and 4 plastic plugs that run down the molding. The antenna then sits on the metal sill below the plastic roof. (Only about three-quarters of it actually sits on the metal, but it is secure.) The wire runs down the A-pillar and will be hidden by the molding.

Reassembly is accomplished by lining up the plastic plugs of the pillar molding, popping them in, then reattaching the the screw at the top. The front top panel requires that the four plastic tabs at the front slide over the metal above the windshield. Place the panel forward of its final location, you can see the tabs, slip them up over the metal one at a time, then pull the panel back into place. Replace the six screws. (Reinstall the the visors, of course.)

For the audio connection, get an RCA to 1/8th stereo dongle, you probably have many of these around the house. Plug the RCA into the radio, the 1/8th inch plug goes into the factory jack that you pushed out of its hole in the glove box.

All three cable are now run through the large hole left by the audio connection plug.

For me, the installation took about 5 hours, but if I'd had the experience I've related above, it would take about 2 hours. All my experience comes from doing everything wrong until I get it right.

Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice work. I took a similar approach with a few differences:

1. The suction cup won't stay for long. I drilled two holes through the mount and used toggle bolts into the plastic.

2. I used two sided industrial tape (meant for body parts) to mount the antenna on the roof in the back and ran the wire under the molding/plastic trim.
SBibbo--I want to mount my Sirius using the same procedure as Djinn did but am concerned about your comment re the suction cup not holding. Is that comment based on your experience with this mount or is it a supposition?

For Djinn--is your mount holding with the suction cup?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You can not be sirrius?

Now you have sirrius, check out radio 1 from Britain, they are always saying they are on it, and getting loads of people from over there saying how good it is.
It is timeshifted so if you are listening to the breakfast show on your way to work, it is the breakfast show that we heard say 8 hours before if the time difference is 8 hours.
The Chris Moyles show is brilliant, he is on between 6.30-10am, but he is on holiday this week so Scott Mills is filling in, a bit like when Jay Leno is on holiday.
I drive children with special needs to school and sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now you have sirrius, check out radio 1 from Britain, they are always saying they are on it, and getting loads of people from over there saying how good it is.
It is timeshifted so if you are listening to the breakfast show on your way to work, it is the breakfast show that we heard say 8 hours before if the time difference is 8 hours.
The Chris Moyles show is brilliant, he is on between 6.30-10am, but he is on holiday this week so Scott Mills is filling in, a bit like when Jay Leno is on holiday.
I drive children with special needs to school and sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me going.
BBC Radio 1 is great. It's on SIRIUS Channel 11. It's a good alternative to SIRIUS Hits 1, but has a lot more DJ talk. But the music selection is very refreshing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts