Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you've probably heard eBay was hacked. And, they're requiring you to change your password. But, you can't do that at the moment because the entire site is in lock down.

What is a little unnerving to me is that Comcast/XFinity email is also offline/unavailable.

I've never seen either of these unavailable before. And at the same time? Wow! I'm wondering if they're related.

EDIT a few minutes later ... well, at least Comcast email is again available, at the moment at least. But, I got an email from Twitter about an account I had forgotten I ever created. My Twitter account is locked out due to possible security problems. Is this thing spreading?

·
17,352 Posts
Didn't ask to change mine either. My AT&T Internet service was down entirely yesterday morning. Probably coincidence...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Paypal is on a totally different server with all the
usual software and protection many other financial
institutions use...

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
Hated to do it but am now using a random password generator - couldn't remember the old passwords anyway so this won't be a big change. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,079 Posts
In case anyone would find it helpful, my online password scheme involves a standard complex password that is the same for every site, BUT you add letters from the domain name on each site to make it unique per site. So, if you can remember one password, you can always know what your password is for a particular site just by looking at the login page URL.

So, if my complex one part password is "Gkl;09" and I was logging onto "smartcarofamerica.com" I might add the last 4 letters (or the max letters available if less than 4) of the domain name (minus the .com). I would know my password is "Gkl;09rica". If I were logging onto AAA's site, it would be "Gkl;09aaa", Amazon would be "Gkl;09azon" and so on - complex and unique per site, but I only have to remember one password part and it's never written down or stored anywhere else and with 10 characters (most of the time) it would take a while to brute force it. You should ensure that the domain name you are using is from the login page since some sites change the domain slightly before/after login and you want it to be the domain you are looking at when on the login page.

If you are forced to change the password afterwards, you might choose to prepend the domain letters instead of append or capitalize the first letter from the domain text so you know it's one way or the other, but you should probably update your sensitive logins every year or so to the current scheme. But, if you forget, you'd know what the previous scheme was. My complex password never changes, but how many domain letters, capitalization, and append/prepend has evolved over time.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hated to do it but am now using a random password generator - couldn't remember the old passwords anyway so this won't be a big change. :)
Sounds like a good idea to me. Care to give us a lead to the one you use?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts