Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time, EBC pads for smarts were simply not available in North America . I am pretty sure I was the first to have them available in North America, starting in '06, but only Greenstuff were readily available till a relatively short time ago..
I now stock all 3 (including the hard-to-get redstuff ones ), as well as turbogroove rotors.

the choice of which pad depends on what you are trying to do and some tradeoffs
Blackstuff provide better bite and longer wear
Greenstuff provide both the above plus less dust
Redstuff provide both the above, and way less dust, but are harder and may result in more rapid rotor wear,especially on OEM rotors.
EBC says this on the redstuff box:' for faster street use on higher horsepower cars' . The term street use is meant to say that it is not a race-track-only pad
So,if your primary concern is to reduce dust, go for redstuff, but be prepared to also spend more on rotors.
If you'd like less dust on your alloys at a more reasonable overall cost, try the greenstuff pads.

Pricing, in U$, per pair is as follows

Turbogroove rotors $ 210
Blackstuff $ 60
Greenstuff $ 75
Redstuff $ 109

10 percent off the above if ordering a set of pads and rotors at the same time

some more info here

Blackstuff ( Ultimax)
Reduced 70%​

325 x 212 (10.19K)​

A high friction long life pad designed for general replacement use

Greens
Reduced 65%​

280 x 283 (13.17K)​

Reds
Reduced 50%​

188 x 201 (7.26K)​

harald

·
Super Moderator
29,397 Posts
Thanks for the info; "for faster street use on higher horsepower cars" just doesn't apply to the way 99% of smart owners drive or the stock smart, so the Greenstuff pads are realistically what most would use IMHO (if they want a change from the OEM pads.) YMMV. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info; "for faster street use on higher horsepower cars" just doesn't apply to the way 99% of smart owners drive or the stock smart, so the Greenstuff pads are realistically what most would use IMHO (if they want a change from the OEM pads.) YMMV. :)
I won't argue that point, and actual sales back that up.We have sold far more greenstuff pads than either of the others
harald

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much dust is medium dust for the green? if comparing to stock. Or is the choice clean brake dust or buy rotors?
Pretty much all pads produce some brake dust. The less 'metallic' the pad is,the better. Greenstuff are made with ceramic and kevlar fiber to reduce dust.They will produce less dust than stock ,or Ultimax ( blackstuff), pads. How much depends on driving style and perhaps other factors. I cannot say xx % less, unfortunately.
It does seem to be significantly less dust, as we keep on selling these EBC pads, especially the greenstuff version, and are basically relying on word-of-mouth ( as in this forum or the older Canadian one) to extol their virtues.
I have sold quite a few sets since I started selling them in 2006, and have had no complaints . People do say that there is still some dust, but no one has asked for their money back.
The rotors are a separate issue, and the pads seem to work well with OEM rotors as well.
harald

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Greenstuff are made with ceramic and kevlar fiber to reduce dust.
I have no problem with the mention of Kevlar, but ceramic? Could you please reference your source of this information? I thought Redstuff was the only EBC pad with ceramic content.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no problem with the mention of Kevlar, but ceramic? Could you please reference your source of this information? I thought Redstuff was the only EBC pad with ceramic content.
It says so right on the Greenstuff box : ' British made with ceramic/kevlar fiber'
harald

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Ill second this, exact description. Squeaks, dusty(although I do have white rims), but they stop on a dime!
I'll "third" this.
Actually I'm kinda disappointed. I thought there would be much less dust. There's noticeably less dust than stock, but still way too much for me.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I heard from an owner that the green pads squeak alot if not used frequently. What about the black pads? I rather have 2X the dust (OEM) and no noise than a noisy car.

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
I wish I took a photo on how dirty my front wheels were this morning, before washing the car. Only a week full of brake dust, from the EBC greens. After pulling out of the car wash into the drying area, they squealed like little piggy's. Wet, very embrassing.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
I've had the Redstuff pads installed since not long after this thread was started. I can't speak for the other colors, but after being broken in, the Reds do produce less brake dust. On humid, dewy mornings they squeak on their first stop or two. Never fresh out of the car wash, only when the car hasn't been driven for 12 hours or so. And, that's true for a lot of brakes on a lot of cars. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I heard from an owner that the green pads squeak alot if not used frequently. What about the black pads? I rather have 2X the dust (OEM) and no noise than a noisy car.
The reds (EBC Red Stuff DP31287C) produce much less dust than stock, I would say it's about 80% less.

I installed the EBC rotors also (Ultimax Slotted USR923) and they rust when washing the car or after being parked outside on a damp evening. So they squeak slightly for the first 2-3 applications of the brake, then it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
29,397 Posts
FWIW, does anyone have any objective test data showing that any of these pads perform better than the stock smart pads? :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
What kind of prep work, if any, does one need to do to the rotors when they just swap the pads? I hate my stock pads and the dust they give off.

I'm thinking of buying a set of redstuff pads.

Shawn

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
@jwight: I don't have any data. I wouldn't even swear they stop the car better/more quickly, although that might be true. I bought the Reds primarily for the dust reduction. And, for that, they're good!

@srmack: I am still using my OEM rotors with my Redstuff pads. It might make a difference, depending on the condition of your rotors. But, someone else would be able to answer that question better than me. When I went with the Reds my rotors only had roughly 12K on them.

It should be noted that when breaking the Reds in, you'll probably see an increase in dust. It's temporary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.