2) downhill on highway
3) flat street on highway
4) uphill on normal street
5) downhill on normal street
6) flat normal street

·
Registered
465 Posts
For general economy it's always the same. Pretend there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and brake pedal. Step hard on either and you break the egg. When that happens your economy goes out the window. Don't drive in fornt of your car. Drive a 1/2 mile ahead down the road. Anticipate red lights and traffic backups. lift off the gas or slightly increase speed so you time the light and roll on through. Leave lot's of following distance so that you drive your trip instead of just reacting to what the knuckle head in front of you is doing. It's always better to slow gently by lifting your foot than by stepping on the brake. Every time you foot hits the brake pedal you lose money and fuel. Drive a steady speed. Every time you lose speed you have to use fuel to regain it. It takes much less fuel to maintain speed.

The number one way to save fuel is to leave a long following distance between you and the car ahead. So what if people jump in. Just relax and let them go. They probably get out of your gap in a minute anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good tips, I also like to speed up before a hill to gain some momentum and cost down using regen by feathering the go pedal.

Using everything you mentioned, I managed to travel 150km on one tank of electrons. Only had the car for 2 weeks so I expect to get even better.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
... leave a long following distance between you and the car ahead. So what if people jump in. Just relax and let them go. They probably get out of your gap in a minute anyway.
That's part of "good driving technique" courses too: gives you time to anticipate and/or avoid sudden stops in traffic. Once the novelty of driving a smart fades, most drives, Dragon aside, are to bring you safe and relaxed to your destination. What's the point of being the first one at next traffic light anyway? >:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
I find harder accelerating has little detrimental effect. Three things that save energy are:
-drive slower: on 40mph side roads, I can get easily 100 miles/charge, but at 70mph highway it's around 70 miles.
-don't use the brakes: any time you engage the friction brakes, it's an instant loss. Use regenerative braking as much as possible (keeping a distance helps, like others said).
-don't use heat or A/C

If there is a up or down hill doesn't really matter, just observe the above.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
IF you have the recuperation paddles then my suggestion would be

1) uphill on highway D-
2) downhill on highway D+
3) flat street on highway D
4) uphill on normal street D-
5) downhill on normal street D+
6) flat normal street D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have regen paddles... this is what I do for each condition.

1) uphill on highway D- (Hwy should always be D- unless slowing down for traffic.)

2) downhill on highway D- (If you ever need to slow down due to the flow of traffic while going down hill, switch to D or D+ depending on how aggressive you want to slow down. If the hill is steep enough, you can use D or D+ regen to maintain the speed limit rather than braking.)

3) flat street on highway D- (For same reasons as above.)

4) uphill on normal street D (For surface streets, I always use D or D+ depending on the flow of traffic. Occasionally, I will use D- if there is little to no traffic.)

5) downhill on normal street D (For same reasons as above.)

6) flat normal street D (For same reasons as above.)

As others stated, you really only want to use D or D+ (depending on the level of aggressive braking needed) during times where friction brakes would otherwise be required. Using your friction brakes (while in D-) will also allow regen to occur; however, it's not as efficient compared to relying mostly on the D or D+ regen modes for slowing down.

In most cases I rely on the regen paddles to slow down in advance rather than using the brakes. I am not specifically in any particular regen mode for the duration of my commute on the Hwy or on the surface streets. But for Hwy's, I'm mostly in D- and for surface streets, I'm mostly in D or D+ due to increased traffic/stop lights.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I will admit to the fact that I pulled this from latest posts and didn't realize it was directed at the ED when I responded. I'm sure there are factors that I'm not aware of with the electric car that would rule out some of my general ideas. I've never driven an ED of any sort.

I guess I should pay more attention. I've been known to respond to one post on old dead threads in the past as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know the US have problem getting cruise and regen panels at the same time but if you could:
1) uphill on highway - for long hills cruise, short as above, build speed on the previous downhill, let it drop on the up
2) downhill on highway - Depends on the hill, D- D or D+ or cruise as it modulates the regen with no friction brakes
3) flat street on highway D- if the traffic is low
4) uphill on normal street - I use cruise in 30mph areas, it seems to do a better job no matter how hard I try, too tempting to blast up hills
5) downhill on normal street - as 2)
6) flat normal street D or D-

The gas comments are just as relevant for an ED but with some additions. If you're moving you have kinetic energy, if you're at the top of a hill you have potential energy too, turning either into energy in the battery with regen is not quite as efficient as using them to keep the car moving. If you can coast in D- with no throttle then it's about as good as you can get - miles for free. Conversely, if you need to slow down then the best place to put the energy is the battery so regen as much as you can before wasting the energy by making the brakes hot. If you can, avoid hills, my sums say a 100m height increase is about 1.5% of the battery, ignoring the distance you drive along the tarmac. You can get some of it back on the other side of the hill but if there's a flatter route you can use then try it out. And if you have a cabrio, leaving the roof open at highway speeds can undo all your good efforts (but is really nice).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts