Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We at SmartCar Performance are now dropping our Renntech ECU upgrades and are replacing it with a better system.

We can now upgrade both your ECU and your TCM (both 451 and 450 models). TCM is your Transmission Control Module. Here is what they do (from the company that does this):

"We have a team of software developers who work with us and tune ECU's for all types of vehicles, from trucks to high performance cars such as the Porsche 997 Turbo. We connect our equipment to your ECU and download the current files. We only modify the existing ECU files, this results in a better tune than simply replacing your ECU files.

We can remove vehicle speed limiters, adjust ignition timing and fuel maps, throttle plate ratios, raise rev limiters, or rewrite just about any map in the modern ECU.

We never have and never will compromise on mapping of ECU's. You can be totally reassured that mapping your ECU won't result in damage to your engine, we still build in tolerances to ensure your vehicle is totally reliable, everyday.

We back up all ECU's before the tuning is done, so at anytime the software can be reverted should you need to restore it back to the original version
."

The company is DPTune. they have built a reputation as a one of the country's up and coming performance tuning firms. Their craft has been developed over years of testing, giving the experience needed when it comes to re-flashing your ECU. They partnered up with Piasini Engineering in 2009 which increased their knowledge base to handle any tuning situation.

They are the only company in the United States to offer the new Transmission Control Module reflash for the Smart!!

They have done all the Dyno testing, which I am acquiring right now so I can share with the community. They are far more reliable and definitely more knowledgeable than any other company that I have dealt with in this application.

The best part is that they have a Money Back Guarantee. So if you are not satisfied, they will put your ECU/TCM back to stock for no charge. Not many companies offer that.

Pricing is competitive. I should have this in the next few days. But please feel free to contact me with any questions.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a quote about TCM re-flash:

"The new TCM is the prefect compliment to the tuned ECU,with 25-50% faster shifting, and neck snapping,clutch action! the 451 is a riot to drive with the Perfect Package installed"

Here are some facts:

ECU can be a standalone upgrade;

TCM needs to be done with the ECU upgrade only.

Like I mentioned you get a full refund if you are not satisfied 100%. Also, once your ECU/TCM is received it gets worked on the same day. So, no long waits.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Now if we could just get an aftermarket aluminum flywheel with a ceramic clutch!

Given the POS clutch these cars have already I'm not too sure about the TCM upgrade.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its about time someone gets a TCM upgrade out there! I just hope the prices aren't though the roof...
Here are the prices:

ECU only - $450

TCM only - $300

ECU and TCM - $650

They dont suggest doing the TCM alone because the shifting depends on how the engine is programmed.

Where's the Transmission Control Module?
The TCM is located under the driver's seat. You have to remove the drivers seat and there is a panel below that. The TCM is located below the panel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here are the prices:

ECU only - $450

TCM only - $300

ECU and TCM - $650

They dont suggest doing the TCM alone because the shifting depends on how the engine is programmed.

The TCM is located under the driver's seat. You have to remove the drivers seat and there is a panel below that. The TCM is located below the panel.
What kind of increase in performance can one expect from the ECU reprogram?????

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
451 Stock HP/TQ - 71/68 --- 451 Tuned HP/TQ - 93/143

450 Stock HP/TQ - 41/100 --- 450 Tuned HP/TQ - 64/135

For both models the Revlimiter and Speed limiter are raised.

I should have the Dyno sheets soon.

·
Super Moderator
29,302 Posts
Just a general question: who supplies the "map"? Are there a variety of ECU/TCM maps available for tuners to use; only one or two, etc? How are the maps verified as being "smart safe" - as in not interfering with some other ECU functions? Not pointing fingers at anyone, just trying to understand if these maps are compliant with current software engineering standards and tested to ensure no harm is done to the rest of the car's electronics. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just a general question: who supplies the "map"? Are there a variety of ECU/TCM maps available for tuners to use; only one or two, etc? How are the maps verified as being "smart safe" - as in not interfering with some other ECU functions? Not pointing fingers at anyone, just trying to understand if these maps are compliant with current software engineering standards and tested to ensure no harm is done to the rest of the car's electronics. :)
Hi, I'll answer that one for Cisco;

We tune our own maps for each car. In truth the only correct way to remap any car is to rewrite the base code as it comes from that ROM. We use a proprietary software/hardware set up to do this. We have been remaping the 450 and 451 for several years with no problems. Hope that answers some of your questions

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I'll bite. The torque increase is pretty high... how can a remap gain 22 HP & 75 Ft/LB???
The numbers you see are from the flywheel. This is the European point of view. They really stand by their product. They use proprietary equipment to do the upgrades and you do get your money back if you are not satisfied.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Probably a shift point clutch engagement spike.
Good to have new products, we will see how much power it makes where it matters and the TCU would be a very needed upgrade if it works well.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Anyone that's felt the surge at 3300RPM and felt it continue to 5K can probably imagine the engine has a good amount of power to offer, if tuned for power and not for economy. A 50% increase in flywheel HP for $650 is seriously tempting, but I'm concerned about clutch wear; as long as that concern is addressed along with basic code safety, etc, I'll replace the $5k turbo on my wish list with this for when my wife becomes a bestselling author and I have play money again. So, that means you guys get to beta test it for about a year. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. The torque increase is pretty high... how can a remap gain 22 HP & 75 Ft/LB???
I recall someone here - LittoDevil? - that increased RPM limit from 6500 to 7500, with higher HP gains than other turbo offerings. He was also running insane ~24psi boost, and a few other tweaks. It may be possible.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The numbers you see are from the flywheel. This is the European point of view. They really stand by their product. They use proprietary equipment to do the upgrades and you do get your money back if you are not satisfied.
I'm technically challenged. What are the American numbers?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I recall someone here - LittoDevil? - that increased RPM limit from 6500 to 7500, with higher HP gains than other turbo offerings. He was also running insane ~24psi boost, and a few other tweaks. It may be possible.
How many rpm can this little motor take and still be reliable?:confused::D

1 - 20 of 215 Posts