Smart Car of America Forum banner
201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
thats great for the tcm but anything on the ecm?
No, as I mentioned earlier in my threads nothing about the ECU was observed to be different on my end other then the speed limiter being taken off.

Joe still has his last chance I would like to give him to show me that the red line can be changed as that's what I really want as well.

I also need the TCM to shift faster to warrant the cost of the actual upgrade.

I also feel the need to make a note that the post above shows a benefit in a way where pepole don't normally drive. That is a foot to the floor throttle and most people don't drive around like that. I had meant to post that but because it accidently got erased I had to do the whole post all over again and didn't add that in. If you were to drive the car around NORMALLY you'll be hard pressed to feel a difference in the shifting.

A few people felt like I had jump ship but I haven't, my attitude toward Joe and his company stands the same but because I tend to tolerate things some more I usually give people 3 chances on certain things to let them keep their words and their promises. This ECU and TCU mod isn't something I would recommend at the cost that it is because from a customers point of view, the benefits doesn't outweigh the cost, but it would if the shifting times were quicker in my opinion.

I only posted what I posted to show the facts as that's what I originally had wanted to do along with my post much much earlier. I show where credit is due and I also show where credit is not due, except in this case I posted it in two different post. Just want to be clear :)

Larry

·
Registered
755 Posts
What about valve springs? Or do you have somebody making a set of these as well?
Haha no I wish.. I do have to be realistic about getting this car back on the ground and driving to enjoy what I have.. so that means I can't wait for custom valves spring and valves, and machine work and etc... but when the first "prototype" of the ecu flash went haywire I was able to stay in 4th gear up until 106 mph, which is also the engine speed of about 7400-7500rpm and there was no signs of valve floating. I know it's not the scientific way of testing it but it was a realistic way of telling me that at least I know it "can" be sustained at 7500rpm.. now for how long (1,000 or 10,000 miles) I don't know as things do wear over time including the pressure on the valve springs but.. yea.. :)

I was more worried about an exploding flywheel as.. that can kill you.. we have a factory cast iron flywheel and if you look up on youtube of exploding flywheels.. god it's nasty.. so at least that part I got it taken care of with a custom flywheel :)

Larry

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm also waiting for feedback on anyone who has done this flash.
Ok. Long term report on the DP TUNE TCM ansd ECU upgrade I got in 2010.
One word Excellent! Great transaction, Great performance, changed the 2009 Brabus I have 180 degrees. Better shifting, transmission learning curve for a couple of weeks, and then this car has screamed since!! Mileage same, I get 38 all the time. I would NEVER go back to the stock flash. I got this upgrade with about 13000 on the odometer, now it's got 40 k. It's great to go 90 + when I need to. No clutch problems. Shifts like a dream. I am a happy camper. I bought this in 2010, hope these guys are doing well, and if you have any doubts, DONT. I love this modification!!
This post is late, I should have done this a couple years ago!!!!!!
Hope this helps. I would do the both box upgrade, as it works in synergy when you do, that is why I did both. Glad I did that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thank you Barney!

Questions:

Have
SFR STAGE 3
Air to water intercooler.
Changed turbo from (GT2056) to (GT1548)....it's water cooled too.
Would need to keep the piggy back.

Would like to know if possible:

RPM raised to 8500rpm.
Just incase I need the extra room...but would drive it in the lower rpm range to keep it safe. Plus I will be changing the stock cast iron flywheel to a lighter one.

Speed limiter: REMOVED.

TCU upgrade to as fast as possible.

How much are we looking at???

Is this possible??

Who do I get I touch with???

Thank you guys!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 2011 brabus is already faster than my older 2009 model shifting, i wonder if these tcm updates even goes faster than already is

·
Registered
72 Posts
The DP Tune hyperlink above in post 205 isn't any good....

This goes to an insurance company...... Google them in new braunsfel, tx

UPDATE ON DP Tune, I googled then called, got a return phone call, as I was asking about having to maybe get the re flash at the dealer to correct my failure to shift into Reverse after the car sits for 4-5 days, an intermittent problem.
I got the guy who used to REFLASH smarts when the company did that. Evidently the company personnel has shifted ! They no longer have the flash for the smart TCM, but he said I could send it, and they could read the flash and maybe do something. Well, this didn't sound too comfortable to me, so I will likely hold on, and see how the reverse issue goes, leaving the flash that I have, as I am pretty satisfied with what the DP TUNE folks did in 2010.
I can always get the Mercedes flash, which is the fix for my issue.
There y go, hope this is as accurate as I understood it .

201 - 215 of 215 Posts