Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you swapped out your skinny front tires with something larger, any impact on range?

As all ED 451 owners soon learn, the rear tires take a lot of stress and wear out around 20k.

Faced with the replacement decision, I chose to replace the front wheels with rears after 12 years of favorable results on our ICE.

Threw caution (and range?) to the wind changing tire brand & size. New replacements are Kumho ECSTA PA31 195/50R15 V vs. OEM 175/55R15.

Although fall temperatures have muddied the results, any range reduction is minuscule?

Advantages - improved handling & ride, ability to rotate tires and a more “grownup” look.

And no chatter from the traction control nannies!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I thought those traction control nannies when active waste energy by pulsing the brake ABS as an example. Most likely moot with regards to energy if you were activating them before and not now. Otherwise being equal you'd take a hit. If the extra grip saves you from an accident though, priceless...

(Wonder what we'll give my son to drive hopefully within a year when he comes of age. Gotta keep checking the for sale section he originally wanted a self driving Cybertruck and my wife obliged by putting a (refundable) deposit, now typical teenager I guess changed his mind and wants something small)...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Wonder what we'll give my son to drive hopefully within a year when he comes of age. Gotta keep checking the for sale section he originally wanted a self driving Cybertruck and my wife obliged by putting a (refundable) deposit, now typical teenager I guess changed his mind and wants something small)...
WAIT, where do I sign up to be your Wife’s son ( of another Mother😂)?

And I’m well “of age” and mow lawns...

·
Registered
258 Posts
And no chatter from the traction control nannies! [MB DNA]
So the Sirens of Charybdis emerge when you misbehave? Do we get a screen msg, an audio alarm or maybe just a bit of noise from the chassis? I've only about 7
miles of Smart snow driving so far - solid enough handling, no complaints, but no feedback from the System yet.
--

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While different tire schemes are being run, ED Stability Control seems less “controlling” than our ICE both of which are 4 square.

My fear with ED was the larger front tire could have impacted aero and weight resulting in range reduction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts