Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USA TODAY November 19, 2013

KBB's list of cars that lose the most and the predicted percentage of their residual value after 5 years:

1 Nissan Leaf 18%
2 Fiat 500e 21%
3 Smart fortwo electric 21.5%
4 Jaguar XJ 22.2%
5 Volkswagen CC 25%
6 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class 25.8%
7 BMW 7 Series 26%
8 Volvo S80 27.3%
9 Lincoln MKS 27.5%
10 Jaguar XK Series 27.6%

Three electrics lead 10 worst cars for depreciation

Making leasing look even more attractive . . .

·
Registered
465 Posts
It doesn't surprise me on account of all the incentives for EVs. As soon as you buy an EV it is immediately only worth the price of the car less the rebate

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Yup, another reason to lease: let the manufacturer eat the crap residual (until they start catching on and factoring the crappy residual into the lease).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I love how they're making predictions on a line of cars no even for sale yet. What magical hole are the pulling that from? :p I recall the same being said about the gas models in the US when they first started selling here. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. Time will tell.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't care what the residual is, the car pays for itself in the gas savings; and, I usually drive cars until they're worthless anyway. But if they really do depreciate that much, I'll buy a couple used ones when they come up for sale.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Interesting. I spent $11,000 on diesel fuel for my first smart, in order to drive 247,274 km. Average consumption was 3.95 L/100 km.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Interesting. I spent $11,000 on diesel fuel for my first smart, in order to drive 247,274 km. Average consumption was 3.95 L/100 km.
I'm comparing to the vehicles I would have normally driven, which are in the 11L/100km range average.

For that same number of Kms it would cost me about $2500 in electricity provided I don't you free charging stations (which I use quite a bit). In addition to that, for work, I get reimbursed 54 cents per Km, which I drive 300 - 500 per month.

You do the math :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought mine for <$20K all in. If it's worth 20% of the original price in 5 years, that would make it worth $6K in 5 years. Hell yeah! I'll be buying another for my kids at that price. Costs nothing to run, and I could use the second for spare battery in case mine fails.

I don't lease, as like Marc, I drive my cars for >10 years and eventually get nothing for trade in, but haven't done any maintenance or work (1 oil change per year typically).

Honestly, if I could pick up an electric car as good as my new 2014 Smart ED for $6K today, I'd buy 3.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It will be interesting to see what condition the battery is in after 7 years and 250K km.
I'm hoping by then there will be some better battery and charger technology available that can be retrofit. But yes only time will tell.
When the battery no longer keeps enough charge for making it practical use in the car, I intend on taking it out and using it for an off-grid solar array.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I bought mine for <$20K all in. If it's worth 20% of the original price in 5 years, that would make it worth $6K in 5 years. Hell yeah! I'll be buying another for my kids at that price. Costs nothing to run, and I could use the second for spare battery in case mine fails.

I don't lease, as like Marc, I drive my cars for >10 years and eventually get nothing for trade in, but haven't done any maintenance or work (1 oil change per year typically).

Honestly, if I could pick up an electric car as good as my new 2014 Smart ED for $6K today, I'd buy 3.
That's kinda' what I was thinking. With 5 kids, they can each have their own electric car to drive around town :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts