Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ED as a toad, 4 down >>>>>>>>>>>

Just wondering IF it's even possible ???

If so, seems like it would be a match made in heaven :D

Anybody know ????

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
ED as a toad? 4 down being four wheels down being towed? At first I did not understand. I hope this is what is being meant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We took an ED (electric drive) for a test drive. Went through the owner's manual thoroughly -- No mention of ability to tow the ED four wheels down (RV towing). The standard 2013 can be towed with four wheels down as described in the owner's manual. Since it is explicitly stated that it is possible to tow four wheels down in the standard 2013 manual and it is not stated in the ED, then we believe the ED may not be towed four wheels down.

We tow our 2012 and 2013 standard gasoline Smarts four wheels down without any problems. We passed on the ED, even though we loved how it drove, because the owner's manual did not explicitly state that it could be towed four wheels down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking through the ED owners manual, I found the section on towing (page 196) that states the preferred method of towing is all four wheels off the ground. It did say that if that method isn't available, it may be towed with all four wheels on the ground but only as far as is necessary. This is the paragraph:

"When circumstances do not permit the
recommended towing method, the vehicle
may be towed with all wheels on the ground
using a strap or tow bar connected to
another vehicle. Only tow the vehicle as far
as necessary to have the vehicle moved to a
safe location where the recommended
towing method can be employed."

Given that statement, I would be reluctant to tow a Smart ED on a regular basis.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Looking through the ED owners manual, I found the section on towing (page 196) that states the preferred method of towing is all four wheels off the ground. It did say that if that method isn't available, it may be towed with all four wheels on the ground but only as far as is necessary. This is the paragraph:

"When circumstances do not permit the
recommended towing method, the vehicle
may be towed with all wheels on the ground
using a strap or tow bar connected to
another vehicle. Only tow the vehicle as far
as necessary to have the vehicle moved to a
safe location where the recommended
towing method can be employed."

Given that statement, I would be reluctant to tow a Smart ED on a regular basis.
That is the paragraph found under the 'Emergency Towing' section of every smart manual that I know of.

What the ED manual is missing is the 'Flat Towing' section found between the 'Emergency Towing' and 'Fuses' sections found in the ICE manuals.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I have a friend whose son had an electric toy truck. He would turn it on but push it himself. After he had done it awhile, I checked the battery and found them to be really hot. I had a feeling that if I did not remove the batteries, they might have ruptured.

Perhaps towing the Smart ED with four wheels on the ground could turn the electric motor into a generator which could damage the batteries if overcharged? (just a theory).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts