Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads posted on this subject, but I wanted to post the finding of my research, as I found the subject rather unclear and potentially confusing. In term of how the ED communicates with the My Smart website, it is via the Internet. There are two methods, one by cellular communications and the second by Powerline A/V. I am not sure if the cellular method is available globally, but it appears that it applied to North America. There is no activation (SIM) required by the user and I have not found documentation that states that it will be limited to a term certain period e.g three years. It is dependent upon the availability of cellular service. I do not know who the carrier is in Canada. In order to use the Powerline A/V, you must use a charger that has a connection to L1 and Neutral. My Level 2 charger (Eaton) only has L1 and L2, and no neutral. The stock Level 1 charger should support the Powerline A/V communications. Commutations is Ethernet, so once the connection is made to you hose electrical system, you need a Powerline A/V module to connect the ED to your local LAN. Alternatively you can use the Keba Connected Level 2 charging station to provide a hardwired connection to your LAN. The Keba has the Powerline A/V capabilities integrated into the unit. What I have not been able to determine, is how to find the MAC address of the ED, not how to determine network settings such as DHCP, default gateway, IP address and sub-net mask. There are things that may be required as part of your LAN security settings. I am hoping to get more information on this from MB.

So in summary, the easy way, is cellular. It's all magic and just happens. If you have limitation on access to the cellular network, you will need to rely on the charger to allow your ED to communicate through your home LAN and I would guess that many Level 2 chargers will not allow the connection to work via Powerline A/V.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The car only communicates with the vh.smart.com server through cellular. To my knowledge there's nothing in the car at this point that can communicate with your local network. I believe the second communication conductor in the J1772 cable is inactive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual describes the Powerline A/V and how to pair the car with a Powerline A/V module on your home LAN. They also mention that is uses the L1 and Neutral to carry the Powerline signal. This implies either the use of a Level 1, 120 V A/C charge connection or the Keba Connected that has an integrated Ethernet adapter. I am guessing that the Keba would then carry the Ethernet on L1 and L2. They don't use the communications pair in the J1772 connector for Ethernet, just the hand shake between the EVSE and the vehicles on board charger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts