Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease for my 2012 is up in 12 months and I am considering getting an ED. I have two major concerns, both of which have to do with range.

My first concern is service... My smart center is 73.1 miles away by surface roads and 72.5 miles by highway. Given that even the surface roads are going to run about highway speeds for a fairly large distance and that the rated ranges, I'm not certain I would make it. In general, has anyone here had ranges of 75+ miles with 70-80% of those miles at highway speeds?

My second concern is weather... We had some rather chilly days here in Rochester over the winter. How has extreme cold (minus teens) affected starting and range? I saw recently that a couple other brands of electric cars were tested for range in extreme heat and cold and had their ranges significantly impacted. My commute is roughly 15 miles one-way and I can charge at both ends, but I would rather not have to charge after every commute... I'd rather keep to a typical cycle of once every day or two.

I know there WAS a thread about ranges in general, but I can't seem to find it. I also feel that this is more specific than that.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I found range to be linear with temperature for my commute (mostly highway): 60 miles at 0 C (32 F), 40 miles at -20C (-4 F). This is with enough heat to be comfortable and keep the windows from fogging.

I got mine in the winter, so I don't have much data at higher temps, but I'd expect 80 miles at 20C (68F).

You can get significantly better range by slowing down, but since I don't, I don't have good data on that.

·
Registered
521 Posts
73 miles is literally topping out max range. So you would be cutting it real close if you drove to the smart center in it. And then you would have to fully charge to drive back home. But the ED does best in surface roads/back roads going about 45-55.

But 73+ miles is easily possible driving efficiently the entire charge.

And sounds like it would be perfect for your local commuting, but that long distance trip depending on weather.... might not make it.... or might make it.

In the 8 months of having my ED i've only taken it to the smart center once and that was for the 30 day check up after i got it so you probably wouldn't have to go there much.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My smart center is 73.1 miles away...
Rochester here too, bordering Gates. Taking Main and 5/20 it's only about 58 miles, but I start on the west side. I made it to the dealer and back at 40 degrees last month, but it was close (~10% left both ways).

In general, has anyone here had ranges of 75+ miles with 70-80% of those miles at highway speeds?
I've gotten as much as 85 miles with some left over, but that was mainly non-highway driving and mostly down-hill. Something else to consider is elevation between the two places. Buffalo and Rochester are the same elevation, but "down state" is much higher. I go to Hornel occasionally over the summer, and at +1900 feet (vs +400) getting there takes 90% of the battery, coming home takes about 70% (~60 miles one way).

My second concern is weather... We had some rather chilly days here in Rochester over the winter. How has extreme cold (minus teens) affected starting and range?
The heater sucks some power, and temperatures below 10°F (-13°C) can consume battery while parked/off, as the car uses power to keep the pack above it's minimum storage temperature. But even on the worst day, that took about 20% during my normal 8 to 10 hour work day. I never had an issue starting.

As for range, I was getting about 45 miles with normal heater usage on a full charge. My commute is about 12 miles, and even on bowling nights (Gates>Henrietta>Irondequoit>Henrietta>Gates), still had 20% to 50% left, depending on temperature.

If you'd like to chat more, or grab a coffee somewhere, drop me a PM. We're both in Rochester, so likely 20 minutes from anywhere thanks to the '90s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize for not getting back to this sooner.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it might be doable, as long as it is put on a charger ASAP when it goes in for service.

I will be making a trip out to discuss options and begin the ordering process in June or July.

My hope is that I can borrow an ED for a week-long test drive and after that make my decision. Barring that option, I will be asking about an option to have a 12 month lease that can be extended to a full 36 months. A no-go on both of those will probably keep me in an ICE for another 3 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts