Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving a 2014 Smart ED for a little over a month. I'm enjoying the experience. But I also wish it had a few small additional features. Nothing big, nothing that would require expensive redesign or add-ons, just small changes that would have been useful without increased cost of manufacturing. Here is my small wish list. Do you have any?

Auto headlight when wet
I love Smart's "auto wiper on when windshield is wet" feature. However, I wish it would also turn on the headlights (for say 5 minutes) every time the wiper turns on, if my headlight switch is in Auto mode. In California, it is a law that the headlights should be on if the wipers are on.​

Light around the charge port
I wish the car had a little LED light around the charge port that turned on when the charge port lid is opened.​

Indicator for charge status
When plugged in, it currently doesn't seem possible to check the status of charge without getting in the car and turning on the dashboard display. It will be cool if the shifter's LEDs can be cleverly used to indicate charge status, so you can peek in to the car from outside and know what the status is. I guess keeping the charge level gauge on might work too, if lit.​

·
Registered
527 Posts
Light around the charge port
+1

Yeah, that. I park in a garage with no lights (really, it's a shed made in the 1920's), so I sometimes leave the passenger door open when it's too dark so I can see what I am doing. Most of the time, I can just plug in on instinct.

Indicator for charge status
+1

This is also useful when the car is parked, so other EV owners know if they can unplug you car to plug theirs in. I have printed a note I put on the dash with a special email account (that is only used for this purpose) people can send me a note to inform me they want to unplug my car.

The charger shows 4 alternating led's, I look to see if they stop strobing and all illuminate.

Also, check the smartphone app, it can notify you on charge completion. I used to use it, but now that the winter is over, I no longer need to pre-condition the car cabin so haven't logged in for a few weeks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wish they would get rid of the hockey puck on the windshield.

If it starts to rain and i cant see out my windshield i'll flip on the wipers... if it gets dark and i cant see the road i'll flip on the HID's... i want to be in control, not it! :D

Other things: LED everything, a better gauge display/non pixelated numbers and letters. They have around it the BRAKE sign and other cool full symbols... why couldn't they have made everything else look like that?

Other things i wish i would have gotten: Sound package

Oh and i almost forgot, a FULLY COVERED SUN SHADE.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a left over dealer inventory 2013 so if I had waited, I could have gotten some of the things from my list.

• Cruise Control
  • More power off the line in kickdown mode. This can probably be changed with a throttle reprogram.
  • Less nose dive and squat.
  • Better audio
  • Garmin based nav system, with a way to hide gas stations from the display and show public chargers instead.
  • Seats that can move lower
  • Adjustable steering wheel
  • Smartkey/keyless entry like Tesla
  • Lighted charger port
  • App that works better so I don't have to set departure time everyday for example.
  • Leather dash cover
These are all actually pretty minor things. I have really enjoyed the car since I got it in January and I'm an extremely picky person.

If I could have everything I think it would be like an electric Aston Martin Cygnet.

·
17,352 Posts
• I ditto the suggestion for LED everything. LED tech has finally reached the point where it can be applied as an affordable replacement for halogen low/high beams.
The new Corolla even has them.

• I'd also like to add: Fully adjustable seating.

I'm a short dude. I can still see out of the smart just fine, but there's at least 6 inches of room above my head. I would think that the car would be even more ergonomic if it gave the driver and passenger the ability to fully adjust the seats, the pedals, and the steering wheel.

P.S. As I'm not an EV owner, I'm not too familiar with charging the smart ED. If there's no indicator, how do you tell if the car is charged? Through a phone app or do you have to just turn the car on?

The Nissan Leaf has little blue lights right behind the windscreen to indicate charge. Hard to believe Mercedes would skimp out on something so simple.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[...] If there's no indicator, how do you tell if the car is charged? Through a phone app or do you have to just turn the car on?
Either method is fine. However, once the charge reaches 100%, I don't think the phone web app shows if the car is currently plugged in or not.

·
Super Moderator
28,248 Posts
This list needs to go to someone at smart USA since the 453 ED is still a few years off. Try contacting Eric Angeloro on smartusainsider.com. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my 2013 ED for 8 months now. Really like the car but here is my list of small (and large) improvements.

- I ditto the led lighting around charge port - can be very hard to see at night
- I dislike the noise the rear gate release makes (just picky I guess)
- I live in rainy Vancouver so a bit better wiper control (more automated/rain sensor)
- A bit quieter fan (even on lowest setting it takes away from the joy of such a quiet car)
- My major complaint is I can't see the speedo because of lack of seat height/steering height adjustment. Also my wife who is shorter can't quite find the right spot either.
- The iphone app and vh smart site could use a lot of work. Stopped using them because not reliable, quirky, doesn't keep cookies (logon) long enough etc.
- ditto the idea of keeping charge/heat ready time same each day until set otherwise

Would I recommend the car to somebody that daily drive range works for the car? For sure!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[...]
The iphone app and vh smart site could use a lot of work. Stopped using them because not reliable, quirky, doesn't keep cookies (logon) long enough etc.
[...]
Digging through different icons on that web app, I found a setting that makes it remember login credentials for up to a month. See Settings->App Settings page.

I'm still looking for a setting like this:
Turn on the super secret, non-quirky, reliable mode

·
Registered
177 Posts
How about a flashlight built into the charging gun like the one for the Chevy Volt. The LED light comes on when you squeeze the trigger that releases the gun when removing it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
How about a flashlight built into the charging gun like the one for the Chevy Volt. The LED light comes on when you squeeze the trigger that releases the gun when removing it.
thats the old Volt charger....its been replaced with a more durable one....if you have this older charger you can go to the dealer and exchange it for the new one free of charge..new one does not have light...

Regarding the smart charge cable...non coiled cable to allow us to charge from farther away..and maybe a led status on the charge cable to see when we have full charge

a simple led on the dash like the Volt....green its charging
flashing its done......yellow hooking up...red..no charging you have a problem

yes to LED all around...

Dedicated AP for Android and iphone...

Solar roof like an early model Smart...keeps 12 volt battery charged and allow air circulation to keep cabin cool on hot days....they have this already and should have been incorporated in the Smart ED...

Bluetooth standard

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
This list needs to go to someone at smart USA since the 453 ED is still a few years off. Try contacting Eric Angeloro on smartusainsider.com. :)
Since the 451 ED Gen 3 is a continuation of a "work in progress" one would think that smartUSA would be soliciting feedback from this small group of EV pioneers? The phone AP issues seems to be a profound weakness of this high tech product.

Some are a year or longer into this journey. Curious, have any ED owners/lessees been contacted by smart for opinions/feedback or is it business as usual, head in the smart sand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree to bluetooth standard. With all the hands free laws every car should have.

Had the car 8 months and have not been contacted. Does seem a bit strange.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts