Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search but found nothing, any idea why my Mom's smart Ed won't shift out of park? All systems seem normal, dash reads "Ready", but can't get the shifter out of park.

Today is extremely cold, it was plugged in overnight and driven all morning, she parked for a couple hours but now it's not drivable. Any ideas? Waiting on road side assistance.

· Registered
462 Posts
I did a quick search but found nothing, any idea why my Mom's smart Ed won't shift out of park? All systems seem normal, dash reads "Ready", but can't get the shifter out of park.

Today is extremely cold, it was plugged in overnight and driven all morning, she parked for a couple hours but now it's not drivable. Any ideas? Waiting on road side assistance.
In extremely cold weather, the battery has to heat up for a few minutes prior to you unshifting and driving off. The battery has to be warmed up. There's a few notes on it in the manual, and some members have documented it as well. From reports, this is only around -10 F or below, without having been plugged in for at least a few hours.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the brake lights work ???

If not, it's the switch !
In extremely cold weather, the battery has to heat up for a few minutes prior to you unshifting and driving off. The battery has to be warmed up. There's a few notes on it in the manual, and some members have documented it as well. From reports, this is only around -10 F or below, without having been plugged in for at least a few hours.
Yes, I thought this might be the cause of the problem, but with no dash warning and only being parked a couple hours in -20c temperature I can't see that being the sole cause. I did leave it on for 10 minutes without any change.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our ED won't be able to shift out of park when the charger is plugged-in. (I'm sure you did)
Have you try to plug the charger back to the car and unplug it again.
Unfortunately, she was parked in the middle of a parking lot with no outlet in site so never got a chance to try that.

Thanks for all your help, ED is sitting on the dealership lot awaiting diagnosis.

· Registered
527 Posts
In extremely cold weather, the battery has to heat up for a few minutes prior to you unshifting and driving off. The battery has to be warmed up. There's a few notes on it in the manual, and some members have documented it
Happened to me one year ago.
Ref:
Smart Electric Drive: Crazy cold and the battery heater

Yesterday was particularly cold here in Toronto. Dash gauge claimed -20C.

I only had one "power bar" showing on the dash when I started the car. I left it running in the garage/shed for 10 minutes with the cabin heater as I shovelled the driveway. Had two power bars by the time I got to the club. The drive home a few hours later was fine, no sign of battery issues, but still limited to two bars (no kick down).

· Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, she was parked in the middle of a parking lot with no outlet in site so never got a chance to try that.

Thanks for all your help, ED is sitting on the dealership lot awaiting diagnosis.
Hi, just wondering if you got a diagnostic back yet. I've got this problem for awhile now. This winter is pretty bad so it's not exactly helping.
I know if I plug it in and start the car after a long while, then it would work. I've tried heat on blasting for half hour and still nothing. I have not had Mercedes have a look at it but looking at smart electric's blog, looks like my car isn't acting normal at all.

Also, did anybody get the climate control working on the standard 110 volt? I thought this only worked for level 2 chargers as I clearly have never been able to get it to work but if this is also another issue I have, I'm definitely making an appointment with Mercedes.

Thanks

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,193 Posts
Also, did anybody get the climate control working on the standard 110 volt? I thought this only worked for level 2 chargers as I clearly have never been able to get it to work but if this is also another issue I have, I'm definitely making an appointment with Mercedes.
Yes, preconditioning on the standard OEM charger (using the sometimes WONKY website) works great!

Sounds like you may have some issues that need the attention of M-B?

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, just wondering if you got a diagnostic back yet. I've got this problem for awhile now. This winter is pretty bad so it's not exactly helping.
I know if I plug it in and start the car after a long while, then it would work. I've tried heat on blasting for half hour and still nothing. I have not had Mercedes have a look at it but looking at smart electric's blog, looks like my car isn't acting normal at all.

Thanks
Not much to report, Dealership never returned my calls, but ED came back working again. Apparently the battery was too cold, doesn't make sense and isn't there suppose to be a error message or something? We'll keep an eye on it and think twice about leaving it parked unplugged outside in -20C weather even for a few hours.

· Registered
44 Posts
Helpful! Happened to me today.

· Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me 4 times this winter. I live in Ottawa Canada and thought it was because of the cold weather - but it happened twice at relitively milder tempatures (-5 Celcius)...

Brought it in and Mercedes knew exactly what it was - Turns out it was the brake switch as mentioned by some members on this post. They had to keep it for a week to wait for the part since they said an updated version was about to be released.

Finally got the car back last Thursday and it's been working well ever since. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Weather has warmed up, break lights work, charge door is firmly closed, 12V Battery is charged and 2013 ED still will not shift out of park. Each time key is turned on, 13 beeps occur which I have not seen mentioned on this forum. Any more ideas? Thank you

· Registered
202 Posts
I don't live where it's cold enough to trigger this, but it has been cold enough to only provide 2 of the 3 kW bars - so my kickdown was not functional (75% max power). This is far better than my i3, which in the same conditions, barely had 50% power (and an estimated 33 miles of range!). I think it was in the single digits, hadn't been above 28 for a week, and the cars were left sitting overnight (in the BMWs case, all week).

· Registered
5 Posts
Noticed that key symbol is present (immobilizer) and cannot make it go away with either of two keys. Apparently this is the cause of not allowing ED to shift out of park or allow it to be started. Any new help with this problem? Does anyone know where the sensor is to detect presence of the FOB chip? Some posts say it is in console near key switch, but cannot locate it there. Some say it is in the center console near the lock & unlock buttons?

· Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,193 Posts
Noticed that key symbol is present (immobilizer) and cannot make it go away with either of two keys. Apparently this is the cause of not allowing ED to shift out of park or allow it to be started.
BTW, 13 Beeps simply means that seat belt was not fastened when powered on!
Weather has warmed up, break lights work, charge door is firmly closed, 12V Battery is charged and 2013 ED still will not shift out of park. Each time key is turned on, 13 beeps occur...
Is there a back story on this MY13 ED, clear CarFax? Did either key fob ever work?

Dismissing your 13 beeps (seat belt warning) as no one in their right mind should sit behind the wheel of a smart and turn the ignition without FIRST buckling up???

Private party or dealer purchase? Has ED moved under it's own power since your 3/9 post?

· Registered
5 Posts
Private Party sale. I drove it for several months before having this problem.
No, I have still not solved the problem.
Replaced both FOB batteries and one will still lock & unlock doors, but neither will turn off immobilizer symbol.

BTW, I do not see need to fasten seat belts when I know it will not start!
Thank you for your quick response. Sorry I have not checked back since then.
Any new ideas? Thank you

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.